DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    "Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
This will be the mildest, least expensive build I have done in many years. The core is a 2010 Chevy Colorado "donated" to the cause Smile

Please check back often as the project develops. Photos and details beginning soon.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing the build as it progresses, Larry. Saw you and the Lamplighter Camaro team at XRP a week or so ago, meant to stop by and introduce myself, but was rather busy.
I think it is great that you share your builds, and help keep the sport alive by introducing kids & grandkids to drag racing.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Foot, we will be at XRP from time to time, so please look us up. We were busy also working on a driving left situation and too much wheelie. We have both corrected now.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The plan is to use as many bolt-on parts as possible without cutting or modification. CalTracs, 29.5 x 10.5 radial, steel wheels, all OE sheet metal, bench seat. Conventional first-gen SBC, powerglide, 12 bolt rear narrowed as needed.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Working on a truck is a beautiful thing! Remove the bed, complete access to modifying the rear suspension. After a time of thought, I plan to install a set of ladder bars. They will do everything I want in this situation. I will also install them about 4" inboard of the factory frame so that if in the future I want a larger tire it will be an easy upgrade. Installing a Chevy 12 bolt will also be part of this exercise.

Here she is on my trusty, home-built tables that allow placing components at ride height and allowing a good view of the fitment.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
By tha way, hardcore builders[especially those who are old and fat,] require a lift for convenient working height.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some notes, as I begin this project, I recognize the Colorado/Canyon as a good package. It has a full-frame, rack and pinion steering, coil-over front spring with a-arms, it is overall about 3" wider and 3" longer than the S-10. I expect it to be a very nice footbraker.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This shows the front springs removed so the suspension can be positioned at ride height.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The chassis is blocked at one degree forward rake.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The chassis is blocked level.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
nice work as always Larry

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ed. Please stay tuned. I look forward to seeing which family members take to it.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I will and we will.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When converting a factory stock truck to a drag race truck, it is necessary to turn all bolts anti-clockwise. Later, after modifying each piece, bolts can be turned clockwise.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
anti-clockwise

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
turning bolts

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some hot rod prep work is not fun. This shows an old Chevelle 12 bolt going under the blade with removing brackets and a rough cut to length.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
12 bolt cuts

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We are beginning the frame modification. The new section will be 5 1/2" inboard of the original frame. Once both new sections are properly installed and aligned, the original frame will be cut away. Having the OE frame remaining in place gives a good fixture for accurate alignment.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Where’s the like button! Can’t wait to see it finished. Always good work, Larry!

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post