DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    More M/T PBR questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More M/T PBR questions
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
Running the 10.5x29.5 PBR on 8" wheels.

The goofy wear indicators waaaaaay out on the edge, are they really indicative of the amount of wear? Took a LOT of runs to even see any visible wear.
Been running them between 17-18 p.s.i. "hot".

Has anyone swapped them to the non-directional rotation?

I've had 4 episodes of spin on the hit, for no apparent reason. 60' and 330' times haven't varied more than .03 over the course of 30 or more runs, at 3 different tracks. Then boom, spin.

One thing I have noticed is that when finishing the burnout these tires give a nice little bark as they bite, and that seems to have gone away.?

Not sure how many runs I have on them, probably between 125-150 ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Goob,

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1612 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Hoosier DBR's to try, just hate to swap them out prematurely.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1612 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Running the 10.5x29.5 PBR on 8" wheels.

The goofy wear indicators waaaaaay out on the edge, are they really indicative of the amount of wear? Took a LOT of runs to even see any visible wear.
Been running them between 17-18 p.s.i. "hot".

Has anyone swapped them to the non-directional rotation?

I've had 4 episodes of spin on the hit, for no apparent reason. 60' and 330' times haven't varied more than .03 over the course of 30 or more runs, at 3 different tracks. Then boom, spin.

One thing I have noticed is that when finishing the burnout these tires give a nice little bark as they bite, and that seems to have gone away.?

Not sure how many runs I have on them, probably between 125-150 ?

I run an 8” rim, I don’t swap sides, and I try to end my burnouts before the tires chirp. 18-25lbs of air. The only time I get tire slippage at the hit is if my front shocks are set too tight.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I also run that tire on an 8 inch rim. Last set I got 250 passes and the cords were showing. They were still working when I replaced them. I have heard people getting 300 passes out of them.

Things I figured out, lighter burnout works better, especially when its hot. Mine don't bark.

I started at 17, but I have worked up to 19 psi, they seem to like the increased pressure. I am going to keep going up.

Here is what the driver sided looked like when I took them off at 250

Here is the passenger side, Its been sitting out in the sun for the last 7 months but you can see the wear holes. My car wears the drivers side faster than the passenger.

Regarding your intermittent spinning, how long have your shocks been on there and when was the last time they had some tlc? I chased and issue for about 6 months, where 4-5 passes in a row and then spin. Finally figured out that the compression on one of my rear shocks was shot. I would be taking a good look at them.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Shocks were new last fall.

The first instance of spin was when I lined up fairly far off the groove, no biggie I thought.

The next episode was on a track that had "new" (different) prep chemicals, and had hosted a PYOP no prep event the night before.
After that episode I did loosen the front shocks 1 click, let 1/2 lb. of air out, and turned the 2-step down 200 RPM.

I came beck from yesterdays episode with the tires covered in rocks and debris, plenty sticky. ??

I dunno. Confused

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Is it blowing the tires off, or hook and spin?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also run that tire on an 8 inch rim. Last set I got 250 passes and the cords were showing. They were still working when I replaced them. I have heard people getting 300 passes out of them.

Things I figured out, lighter burnout works better, especially when its hot. Mine don't bark.

How do those radials work in 40* - 50’s overcast weather??

Posts: 2444 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I have yet to run into conditions that they didn't perform. I have been really happy with the consistency and life of the tires.

All the issues I did have turned out to be a bad shock.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
I have yet to run into conditions that they didn't perform. I have been really happy with the consistency and life of the tires.

That is impressive Bill, especially the tire life. I don’t give it a second thought to replace my bias tires at 150+ runs.

Posts: 2444 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

I've got about 150 runs on our 29.5 x 10.5 PBRs on a 9" rim. I absolutely love them & haven't spun them once. Most of our track conditions are super-hot, Las Vegas, NV. mostly daytime racing. They need a very light burnout & I run around 19 lbs. pressure.

markemark, while we don't have many runs in 40* - 50* overcast. They work with a good hard burnout. We learned this with our Hoosier radial slicks both lightweight C06 & standard weight C07 compounds.

The pics was taken in Jan.2020 our season opener & the later runs meet high end general criteria. Yes, I won the opener & had a great year.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
[

I’ve had great luck in those conditions, no complaints whatsoever.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Is it blowing the tires off, or hook and spin?

Blows them off at the hit.
Been flawless so far. I may have 130-150 runs....I should probably try to count up. They may just be done.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
If it's blowing them off at the hit, you need to be looking at the rear.

I would try to go up on tire pressure and soften up the extension and tighten the compression

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I ran them on a 10" wheel. I had similar problem where it would spin at the hit. One thing about them is when it did spin the car would really chatter and unlike a bias they wouldn't hook just kept spinning. I ran 18-22 lbs of air. At the time I had a 3 spd and a lot of starting line ratio now with a PG I'd like to see how they do. I bought mine used from a friend that tried them and didn't like them. I'd have to pull my log but I think I went over 200 passes on them.
Oh yeah, they would bark and scare people standing around the starting line when I let off coming out of the burnout.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's a killer tire, I can tell by looking at it - sticky compound.

Do too much burnout on a hot track, they probably get slimy.

Pizza cutters

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Upon closer inspection, I think these tires are worn out.
Cords aren't exactly exposed, but there are some small cuts where I can see cord.
Counted some time slips, 130 or so runs is a close count.

So I'll put on the Hoosier DBR's and see what those are like.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I did answer one question....those wear indicators way out there on the sidewall don't mean a thing. Laughing Hard

A wider wheel would probably help.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob

Laughing Hard

Well, 29.5 x 10.5 radial doesn't always mean the same thing.
These Hoosier DBR's are HUUUUUUGE, no way can I get them on my car.

So I had a set of Phoenix bias 9 x 30's for backup, but those things are over 31" tall inflated, can't get them on my car....97 1/2" rollout.

So, another question answered, now I'm waiting for a set of 9 x 30 radial M/T's to hit the door.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by Goob

Laughing Hard

Well, 29.5 x 10.5 radial doesn't always mean the same thing.
These Hoosier DBR's are HUUUUUUGE, no way can I get them on my car.

So I had a set of Phoenix bias 9 x 30's for backup, but those things are over 31" tall inflated, can't get them on my car....97 1/2" rollout.

So, another question answered, now I'm waiting for a set of 9 x 30 Pro Drag Radial M/T's to hit the door.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
While the Mickey PBRs are my favorites & I've only owned one set. I have many wins on the Hoosier lightweights & standard weight 9 X 30s. I have a spare set mounted on rims now.

I was looking for tires yesterday & found Hoosier has a new tire that caught my eye. While it's a lightweight, I have gotten 150 to 200 runs on them in the past & haven't seen cords.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post