DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    More M/T PBR questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More M/T PBR questions
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
If you can work an IC /pickup point setup in your car in conjunction with shock settings to not wind the tire on the rim, these little 9" PBR's are unbelievably good.

I've been doing a lot of testing during Super Pro competition on everything from suspension, fuel mixture/jetting/timing to gear ratio's and converters in between races.

Tire is now looking excellent at the hit and 60 ft's are narrowing in change.

I run 23 psi, short burnout, and relatively loose rebound and tight compression on front and rear dampers/shocks. Relatively high ladder bar pickup point for a quick hit on the tire. Relatively low 3400 leave rpm.

They definitely require an unconventional approach.

The car is looking good on them PBR's. Did they pick-up your 60' & are you leaving in high gear with them?

I also see you made it away from your so-called duck pond. Good to see you racing again!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2494 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
If you can work an IC /pickup point setup in your car in conjunction with shock settings to not wind the tire on the rim, these little 9" PBR's are unbelievably good.

I've been doing a lot of testing during Super Pro competition on everything from suspension, fuel mixture/jetting/timing to gear ratio's and converters in between races.

I run 23 psi, short burnout, and relatively loose rebound and tight compression on front and rear dampers/shocks. Relatively high ladder bar pickup point for a quick hit on the tire. Relatively low 3400 leave rpm.

The car is looking good on them PBR's. Did they pick-up your 60' & are you leaving in high gear with them?

I also see you made it away from your so-called duck pond. Good to see you racing again!
............. That's not a high gear only pass......Care to share the time slip!!!

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LoL! Thank you Sir.

My so-called duck pond (Sunshine, Bradenton) won Division II bracket finals for the 20th year straight. Just kidding I think Bristol won it once in there somewhere. Big Grin

I couldn't tell ya about the 60ft, this is a 5.90 car I'm slowing to 6.39 or slower by shifting to high gear 18 hundredths after trans brake release in conjunction with a 600 rpm too loose 6700 TSI converter, I traded my PTC pro tree converter for.

I think it's 1.47 60 ft trying to go as slow as I can, leaving 3400 rpm.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
quote:
quote:

............. That's not a high gear only pass......Care to share the time slip!!!

3rd and 4th round of the main event.

If it's not high gear only, hows it go 6.48 over 110 mph? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
B KING it's a work in progress trying to slow this thing down without having 400 lbs of ballast in the trunk. I've done 3 gear ratio's this year, had 3 different converters in it, have had the transmission apart to install a Sonnax 10 clutch, that's the slowest high gear with the most drag in low gear, which helped a lot with keeping the tire round at the hit (the drag). I had my 4500 intake & carb on it a couple races too, went 111 mph with it. It was junk though (consistency) with the flat hood, no carb spacer.

I worked on it all weekend in Valdosta, you're not supposed to make changes bracket racing but I did. It had some bright spots.

Joe at BLP noticed I wasn't running a bypass regulator, so he sent one my way as a contingency for winning Super Pro in Orlando the week before bracket finals. Thanks Joe at BLP! Very nice of you Sir, and good call!

I'll get that on there in the next couple days and BLP wants a look at my metering blocks, couple decent races left in the season to see if I can get this thing perfected, it's close.

All in all it's close (tuneup) last couple races, with a perfect ET, no worries of breaking any rules 6.48 and 110 plus mph, which is a good place to be, I think.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mike, I like your method of slowing to achieve higher mph vs slower et. I believe very short shifting likes a looser convertor for consistency and helps get car up on the tire. What are the 3 gear ratios that you tried with this combination? What rpm at finish line? Is the radial more mph over the bias?

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Mike, I like your method of slowing to achieve higher mph vs slower et. I believe very short shifting likes a looser convertor for consistency and helps get car up on the tire. What are the 3 gear ratios that you tried with this combination? What rpm at finish line? Is the radial more mph over the bias?

It was actually four different gear ratio's, I set up three in my aluminum Strange Ultra bolt thru case 4.56, 4.71 and 4.87. 4.87 crossed 7350 - 7400 rpm with my fast converter. 4.56 was setup already in a Strange iron case I have.

The current 4.44 I got from Quick Performance, crosses 6950 rpm, converter slipping 14-15%. That's a tough ratio to find but those people had one, gave me a good price on it.

I could see the radial being quicker (et) but not faster (mph).

I couldn't get my fast converter to slip 4% on the radials as it had on a bias tire, so that tells me the bias tire growth is deceiving, in terms of converter slip. I think it achieved 7.5%-8% crossing 7400 111.50 mph.

I'm set with the 4.44 ratio, seems perfect and it's hair under 7,000 at the stripe.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
B KING it's a work in progress trying to slow this thing down without having 400 lbs of ballast in the trunk. I've done 3 gear ratio's this year, had 3 different converters in it, have had the transmission apart to install a Sonnax 10 clutch, that's the slowest high gear with the most drag in low gear, which helped a lot with keeping the tire round at the hit (the drag). I had my 4500 intake & carb on it a couple races too, went 111 mph with it. It was junk though (consistency) with the flat hood, no carb spacer.

I worked on it all weekend in Valdosta, you're not supposed to make changes bracket racing but I did. It had some bright spots.

Joe at BLP noticed I wasn't running a bypass regulator, so he sent one my way as a contingency for winning Super Pro in Orlando the week before bracket finals. Thanks Joe at BLP! Very nice of you Sir, and good call!

I'll get that on there in the next couple days and BLP wants a look at my metering blocks, couple decent races left in the season to see if I can get this thing perfected, it's close.

All in all it's close (tuneup) last couple races, with a perfect ET, no worries of breaking any rules 6.48 and 110 plus mph, which is a good place to be, I think.

quote:

We/I (most) get what you are trying to achieve & other's just wanting to make drama out of it. I would take a different less costly approach to the situation, but I'm sure you have your reasons for your approach.

As for the radials markemark kind of hit on the mph. They should have more mph over the bias ply. I'll try to look at my records about the differences in the tires. I know I shared some information with Banjo between the Hoosier radials (lightweight/standard weight) & the Mickey PBR's. Between the 2 different brands, there was no noticeable difference in consistency! The main difference, between the 2 brands was the weight of the tire (Mickey=heavy), the Hoosier being quicker in ET (you don't want) & I don't remember if there was a mph difference.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2494 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

We/I (most) get what you are trying to achieve & other's just wanting to make drama out of it. I would take a different less costly approach to the situation, but I'm sure you have your reasons for your approach.

As for the radials markemark kind of hit on the mph. They should have more mph over the bias ply. I'll try to look at my records about the differences in the tires. I know I shared some information with Banjo between the Hoosier radials (lightweight/standard weight) & the Mickey PBR's. Between the 2 different brands, there was no noticeable difference in consistency! The main difference, between the 2 brands was the weight of the tire (Mickey=heavy), the Hoosier being quicker in ET (you don't want) & I don't remember if there was a mph difference.

Low cost, just time. I have three converters and a stockpile of gears. I did buy the 4.44 gear and a Sonnax 10 clutch drum.

Just time, I enjoy working on the car nearly as much as racing it. It's relaxing.