DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    More M/T PBR questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More M/T PBR questions
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I saw those too.
Wondering what a C30 compound is though?

I went with what was in stock to ship, preferring the M/T brand.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I saw those too.
Wondering what a C30 compound is though?

I went with what was in stock to ship, preferring the M/T brand.

If you look at the chart, it should be softer than the C06; C35 is below it.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Put on the 3060R tires yesterday. At least they fit.
I've never run them before, not much wear depth. Eek
I probably need to ease up on the fiery burnouts. LOL

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
been following this thread . I have used the 29.5x10.5 PBR for 4 years since going to a transbrake , used the 28x10.5 before that foot braking . Super consistant tyres that even if they turned would drive out rarely spin up .
I use a 10"rim , 19 psi
i have struggled a bit since freshening trans and converter . Though after reseting vert back to 6000 stall is better but i now think the mech diode is hitting harder .
With about a 60/40 hook to spin the last couple meetings i thought tires were going away .
On Saturday i ran a radial event , super prep , 1.429-1.449 sixty over 6 passes . BUT for #3 pass the tires just spun on the hit . A mate also noted there was way less smoke from burnout , plus it was squirilly every burnout , not a solid smoke and straight drive out .
I am thinking a couple things :
Tires are actually done . 110 passeswhich is lower than normal.
I need to drop 2 step further , before freshen was 4500 now 4000 but doing the same sixty .
Have tried 18 psi for no gain .
What are your thoughts ?
Front shocks QA1 single set full loose , rear shock is Viking radial vale 10 comp / 5 extension ( from loose )
Car is a nose heavy 68 Satellite 505ci wedge 3790lbs, ran 6.515-6.535 spread over the weekend
PS , i also have a set of Hoosier 30x10.5R15 CO7radials on 8"rims i have to give a try to . They have been fine footbraking
Thanks
Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
New tires were not the magic pill for me.
After further review, I have found some slop in my rear bars that effectively reduces my pinion angle, which has resulted in the same situation before.
Gonna get things back in line and try again this weekend.

For Tex, not sure what your suspension setup is, I also run the single adj. QA1's on the front, tried loosening them a couple of clicks and lowered the 2 step, more air, less air, no help.

I'll agree that your converter is probably hitting harder if you were spragless before.
You're also about 500 lbs. heavier than my car.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Goob ,
thanks . I have rather basic suspension , small block torsion bars , XHD rear springs with caltracs . If the $ are right i might get the front shocks stiffened up . Budget is a little tight at the moment as our $ is near 1 1/2 to US$
Converter is changed from regular sprag as it damaged that .
I think a bit more T&T , but we are lucky to get 1 of those per month . I check over under car before most meetings , so will recheck for any odd things .

Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
PC PBR's #PIZZA CUTTERS

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
From my experience with pbr is the harder you hit them the better they work. I set my rear shocks soft on extension stiffer on compression.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
when the track best prepped , last weekends radial event .

https://cacklingpipes.zenfolio...p196260932/e325536a0

Tex

DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex013:
when the track best prepped , last weekends radial event .

https://cacklingpipes.zenfolio...p196260932/e325536a0

Tex

Just judging by your pic you need more air in the PBRs and you need a “looser” front end and/or more front travel. My PBRs do not wrinkle

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I found my problem....nothing wrong with the tires, although they're close enough to their end of life.

Maybe the link will work?

This is the root cause of the classic G-Body shuffle....this is about 1 1/2 - 2 degrees of pinion angle loss.

Testing tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/10000...os/1250789829057610/

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tune in to Orlando Speed World AP tomorrow around 10am 1800gb, I'm gonna lay down the mph law, high gear only, 3200 lbs, na 23 degree sbc, in 100 degree heat in the shade.

BRODIX - BULLET CAMS - PKRE SV2 - BO LAWS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tex[/QUOTE]

Just judging by your pic you need more air in the PBRs and you need a “looser” front end and/or more front travel. My PBRs do not wrinkle[/QUOTE]
David tyres are 19 1/4 psi ,have tried up and down but that seems best for the car . Front travel is 5 1/2"-6" no more to be gotten but for caltracs seems ok . QA1s are full loose. Has been common to get some slight wrinkle . Thanks for the input . When i used the Hoosier 30x10.5 radial i tried going up but it span very badly @ 20 off the brake . There is a T&T in a week or so , so will test tyres back to back off the brake though prep will be less .Will try dropping 2 step also if time to see if that reduces the hard hit .

Tex

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed!!!
You'll be happy to know that the 3060 M/T's don't hold air.

Only "radial" slick I've ever seen that won't hold air. These tires are weird. Eek

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
just an update .
Missed the T&T so i raced on Saturday at track championship round . Regular prep , spray/drag at start and a little more before eliminations . Plymouth was back to straight strong burnout , low smoke, hooked all 5 passes chiped once . Sixty was 1.42 - 1.45s . Looks like tyres are still good and it was a track related issue , poor prep ?
thanks guys for input
Now off to National event in September with confidence in tyres . Though will take Hoosiers as spare

Tex

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Hey Ed!!!
You'll be happy to know that the 3060 M/T's don't hold air.

Only "radial" slick I've ever seen that won't hold air. These tires are weird. Eek

They’re not weird, they’re garbage and why they are known as empties!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I love my Hoosier & Mickey radials. After a year & a half; M/Ts were down 2 lbs. & Hoosiers were empty! Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile I ran Hoosier radial slicks for 20 years and 3 different sizes and not once did they loose more than 2 lbs. sitting over the winter for nearly 6 months no mind go flat!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have no ax to grind with either brand, that was the facts. Both sets of tires were bought around the same time frame & have similar runs.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you can work an IC /pickup point setup in your car in conjunction with shock settings to not wind the tire on the rim, these little 9" PBR's are unbelievably good.

I've been doing a lot of testing during Super Pro competition on everything from suspension, fuel mixture/jetting/timing to gear ratio's and converters in between races.

Tire is now looking excellent at the hit and 60 ft's are narrowing in change.

I run 23 psi, short burnout, and relatively loose rebound and tight compression on front and rear dampers/shocks. Relatively high ladder bar pickup point for a quick hit on the tire. Relatively low 3400 leave rpm.

They definitely require an unconventional approach.