DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Vacuum relief valve?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum relief valve?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I have some friends who are in the process of installing a Moroso 3 vane vacuum pump. They do not have a vacuum relief valve. I remember seeing some posts that said you could run the 3 vane without a valve. Any truth to that?

If not, I see there are some relief valves out there but I notice that they are not filtered. Any thoughts on that?

I know how my Star is plumbed and I have had zero problems with it. Trying to convince this friend to do his the same way.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just depends how tight your engine is and how much vacuum you want to pull. Tell your friend to install the vacuum pump and see how much he is able to pull and go from there. If he finds he does need one then install it between the pump and valve cover.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
He can install one of these if his vacuum level is higher than he wants. Installing it right next to the pump inlet on the valve cover is best if you don't mount it inline, or in the pump.
https://www.gzmotorsports.com/relief-valves.html

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Hey Vern,

I've also heard of some guys running that pump without a vacuum control valve on it. It's my understanding it won't pull enough vacuum to need one depending on the engine, but I can't verify that. Moroso makes a really nice pump mounted valve that's filtered. I'd use that one with that pump if needed.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Vern, private message sent.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I mounted mine on a tee fitting right at the pump inlet. Doesn't need a filter because it isn't creating a vaccum leak directly into the engine.

It's not really required. It's really just a safety device to prevent you from pulling too much vaccum. If it's set to 12 inches of vaccum and the pump only pulls 10, then it will never open to create a vaccum leak and prevent the pump from pulling the vaccum lower.

I guess the best way to know if you need one or not is to install a vaccum gauge or sensor somewhere to measure crankcase pressure/vaccum during a run. If the pump isn't pulling an excessive amount of vaccum then you probably won't need a relief valve. All depends on how well the crankcase is sealed.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I ran a 3 vane for years on alky without a relief. Dyno only showed 8-10” of vac wide open so i dont think it was needed. I run the 4 vane now with a relief that Reher-Morrison sells that goes right on the pump itself. Nice piece and has a fine screen on it to keep debris out. It’s adjusted to pull 12” with the 4 vane.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post