DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Determining pushrod length
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Determining pushrod length
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
Needing to determine pushrod length for a SBC with stud mount roller rockers and a solid flat tappet small base circle cam.
I've read articles, posts and watched Youtube videos. It looks like there are 3 schools of thought, the center of the valve tip, the narrowest sweep pattern and the 90* at mid-lift.
What method has worked for determining the length for you?

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used to have a builder local to me whose engines held records in nearly every nhra sportsman class and won many bracket races. “ center the pattern on the valve and don’t worry about the rest of what you read. “ That is how I’ve done it for thirty years and always works for me.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
I used to have a builder local to me whose engines held records in nearly every nhra sportsman class and won many bracket races. “ center the pattern on the valve and don’t worry about the rest of what you read. “ That is how I’ve done it for thirty years and always works for me.

I would agree with this. If you aren’t centered then you will start putting side load on the valve stem all though it may only be a little it adds up.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Depends on the spring pressures in play, the complexity of the build.

Compromises.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:

I would agree with this. If you aren’t centered then you will start putting side load on the valve stem all though it may only be a little it adds up.

Your missing the whole picture here, valve stem side load comes from a lot more than where the roller hits the top of the valve! Why do you think they make needle bearing roller tips?

If max lift from a given lobe is the goal, then the rocker needs to be at 90 degrees to the valve stem at half lift due to the circular motion of the rocker tip. If it's not you will loose some lift.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
This is why I started this discussion after reading a lot. I even broke out my old Smokey Yunick Speed Secrets book. He stated as long as it's not rolling off of the valve and within .020 of the edge it was good.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:

Your missing the whole picture here, valve stem side load comes from a lot more than where the roller hits the top of the valve! Why do you think they make needle bearing roller tips?

If max lift from a given lobe is the goal, then the rocker needs to be at 90 degrees to the valve stem at half lift due to the circular motion of the rocker tip. If it's not you will loose some lift.

My first thought as to why they make needle bearing roller tips would be to eliminate the wear created by the stock style lifter sliding back and forth on top of the valve step.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Not mentioned, but after you sort out the tip contact desired, using a mild spring and a full build mock up using an adjustable push rod is how I found the length. Once that length is measured for intake and exhaust and you have verified all 16 valve tip heights are same, order the custom length push rods.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12151 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
https://www.lunatipower.com/ho...-valvetrain-geometry

This is the simplest method I have seen.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The Lunati link is interesting in the fact I have an old Lunati catalog. They show and explain their formula for mid-lift method.
Interesting how there isn't much about pushrod angle to rocker arm discussed.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I bought a used motor built by a rep. builder, the sweep was backwards, (started near exh. swepted up towards intake) but lasted 300+ runs w/o problems. Yes, I corrected it...

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
I bought a used motor built by a rep. builder, the sweep was backwards, (started near exh. swepted up towards intake) but lasted 300+ runs w/o problems. Yes, I corrected it...

OK, what method did you use to correct it? Was your sweep wider or narrower on the stem?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That link to lunati refers to exactly what I quoted in my reply earlier. Very simple and works well with stud mount rockers.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post