DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Which Hoosier 18250 or 18260 or? SBC Dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Hoosier 18250 or 18260 or? SBC Dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
2001 Undercover 4 link Dragster. I have 15 and 16" wheels I can use. 440 Cubic inch SBC. Looking for recommended slick size. This is my first SBC dragster so not really sure which way to go. Looking for maybe a little real world knowledge so to speak.Car has 4.30 Gear

Posts: 23 | Location: TN | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I'd say an 18400 or 18600 co7 if you're going to use a 15" rim.

That's what I and a lot of guys used for years with bigger hp small blocks.

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to get the D05 compound tire to work on my SBC powered dragster. I use the 18372 tire on a 15 in wide rim. I have a little shorter stroke (3.875) than you, but have more rear gear (4.57). Putting even more gear in it over the winter. My engine loves to RPM. Bob J

Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I'd say an 18400 or 18600 co7 if you're going to use a 15" rim.

That's what I and a lot of guys used for years with bigger hp small blocks.

Is there a slick you recommend for the 16 inch rim. One thing I should point out is I do not have bead locks on either set of wheels.

Posts: 23 | Location: TN | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
18500 Co7 is what we ran on ours with a 16" rim and our small blocks. It's 104 rollout.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the BR3 but it has about 6" more rollout and would surely slow ya down. If ya had a 4.56 I'd consider it.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
18500 Co7 is what we ran on ours with a 16" rim and our small blocks. It's 104 rollout.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the BR3 but it has about 6" more rollout and would surely slow ya down. If ya had a 4.56 I'd consider it.

SL...

Not sure I am making enough power for that size tire lol. This car had a big block running 4.80s with a 33.5 X 17 X 16 C07. I tried it at US43 a few weeks ago with those slicks and it would initially hit the tire and then unload. It sounded like a bad episode of street outlaws squealing all the way down the track lol. First pass I got pretty crossed up on the big end. Lowed the air pressure and it did better but still had to lift about 594. Lowered air more for 3rd pass and it still tried to skate around a little and lifted just before 594. Best ET was 5 27 at 128. This was the first 3 shots on the new Engine. It just seems I am not keeping them planted or maybe not able to work that size tire

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have ran a bunch of Hoosiers on my 4 link 454 SBC Altered. Tried the D05 14.5x 32, the 13.5 D05 and C07 tire.
Nothing worked nearly as good as the 3074 MT tire. On your car I would definitely look into the 3074 or even smaller tire similar. I think you could get away with a smaller tire. The MT tire was Faster, more consistent and also worked in wider temperature range. At extreme temperatures the Hoosiers had a lot of aborted runs where the MT tires hook and go. I liked the Hoosiers until I tried the MT tires and they are much better on my Altered.
If you are dead set on Hoosier I would stay away from the D05 and go to the harder compounds for sure. I have a lot of experience with the 15 inch tires but not much with 16 inch tires so I will not offer an opinion on them.
If you want to private message me or call I will tell you more. Not interested in getting into a pi$$ing contest only to offer help.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you're lifting going 5.2X's in the 8th, something else might be wrong..

I'd be adding air for downtrack stability rather than letting air out. IMO. Might post your Air Pressure, unless I missed it.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
If you're lifting going 5.2X's in the 8th, something else might be wrong..

I'd be adding air for downtrack stability rather than letting air out. IMO. Might post your Air Pressure, unless I missed it.

First pass was at 6lbs and was all over the track just after half track. Second pass Dropped to 5.5lbs was great until just before 594 then felt it wanting to move around so I lifted. Third pass was at 5lbs. Shook like a mofo in burnout but down track was same as second pass. The 60ft times were in order. 1.166, 1.163, 1.159. First pass left at 3400. 2nd and 3rd pass 4400. I had the timing turned down to 32 degrees mainly because I didn't move it once I fired it up in the shop. Like I said it was set up for a BBC and I knew I should have changed the suspension for the sbc but I work out of town alot and ran out of time. I did put 100lb springs on it, lowered the ride height back to where it should be. I will scale it out and see where the instant center is this weekend and make adjustment if I need to.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I have ran a bunch of Hoosiers on my 4 link 454 SBC Altered. Tried the D05 14.5x 32, the 13.5 D05 and C07 tire.
Nothing worked nearly as good as the 3074 MT tire. On your car I would definitely look into the 3074 or even smaller tire similar. I think you could get away with a smaller tire. The MT tire was Faster, more consistent and also worked in wider temperature range. At extreme temperatures the Hoosiers had a lot of aborted runs where the MT tires hook and go. I liked the Hoosiers until I tried the MT tires and they are much better on my Altered.
If you are dead set on Hoosier I would stay away from the D05 and go to the harder compounds for sure. I have a lot of experience with the 15 inch tires but not much with 16 inch tires so I will not offer an opinion on them.
If you want to private message me or call I will tell you more. Not interested in getting into a pi$$ing contest only to offer help.

I sent you a PM

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've experienced the same as Curly with Hoosiers on my SBC 4 link dragster. They are junk and will let go when it gets cool/cold outside. MT 3074s is what I run now. Just this past weekend, a string of 1.01 60s on tires that had 325 runs. Best 60' was 1.012. The many different versions of Hoosiers I've tried couldn't hold a candle to that. Facts, truth and experience with a SBC 4 link dragster.

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:
I've experienced the same as Curly with Hoosiers on my SBC 4 link dragster. They are junk and will let go when it gets cool/cold outside. MT 3074s is what I run now. Just this past weekend, a string of 1.01 60s on tires that had 325 runs. Best 60' was 1.012. The many different versions of Hoosiers I've tried couldn't hold a candle to that. Facts, truth and experience with a SBC 4 link dragster.

I will run whatever works. I don't care what brand it is lol. I bought this car for my son to learn in. He just turned 21 and I would like something that has a little more forgiveness as far as being burnout sensitive with tire shake

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
15" I can't answer much on, except that I personally ran the 3084S in my suspended BBC dragster and had good luck with them, and I know of a few local guys that run the 3080 on hardtails with a lot of luck also. The 3080 has a smaller patch than the 3084S, similar to the bubba series tires. In 16" for non-beadlocks, I would say the most forgiving tire you could put on would be the 3183. Again, I personally know a buddy of mine who runs the 3183 on his suspended SBC (434ci) and has a lot of luck with them. If you have a good set of 16" wheels and want the most forgiving setup, I would go 3183 unless your 440" makes no power. If it makes 700+hp I would say go for those, if not maybe keep the 15" and go with the other tires mentioned..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
15" I can't answer much on, except that I personally ran the 3084S in my suspended BBC dragster and had good luck with them, and I know of a few local guys that run the 3080 on hardtails with a lot of luck also. The 3080 has a smaller patch than the 3084S, similar to the bubba series tires. In 16" for non-beadlocks, I would say the most forgiving tire you could put on would be the 3183. Again, I personally know a buddy of mine who runs the 3183 on his suspended SBC (434ci) and has a lot of luck with them. If you have a good set of 16" wheels and want the most forgiving setup, I would go 3183 unless your 440" makes no power. If it makes 700+hp I would say go for those, if not maybe keep the 15" and go with the other tires mentioned..

I will try both. I am not set on 15 or 16 inch. I could care less. Same goes for brand. I am looking to set it up to run in the 5.0s ot 5 teens. It is for my son to learn. Not looking for blazing fast 60 ft times or anything. Just something smooth and easy for him to learn in