DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    If you're into 23 sbc's, you may appreciate this start up...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're into 23 sbc's, you may appreciate this start up...
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerSBC:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerSBC:

Let's just say that there is a LOT of gray area in the intake rules. The rules don't say no milling the plenum opening larger, nothing about the carb studs have to be installed in the intake manifold directly. I don't remember seeing anything about no carb spacers. I didn't even see that you had to run a 23 deg. intake with 23 deg. heads. Hell, you don't even have to run 23 deg. heads. It just says commercially available 4150 cast manifold. There are tons of nice 9, 13, 15/18 degree intakes available. What trickery someone does from there seems to be only limited by ones creativity.

The N2O is limited in this class. It is basically build the baddest N/A engine you can with a 4150 intake and carb and then open the ring gap up a little. Wink

There are plenty of top shelf heads that fit the DXP rules. The intake is ultimately where the class leaders will push the limits or the rules will get re-written to limit creativity and gray area...……..heads up racing.

Just my opinion.

Jason G.

Hmmmm, not necessarily. This engine will shine on the spray, not so much N/A. There's plenty of evidence we have the correct sbc cylinder head for nitrous, there is none superior. We like our intake too, a lot. As strange as that may sound.

I think the N2O plate mandate for the class and the cast carb body and cast baseplate were really smart moves regarding the rules to keep people from really getting stupid working around the rules from the get go. Now if the current rules will just be enforced. Even just being able to have a dual pattern 4150 baseplate REALLY, REALLY opens the door to further manipulate the intake rules to make more power. I've done some testing on that and made almost 900 HP with a "4150" intake and inline heads. The carb on the other hand would not have been legal. That was like 8 years ago.

Jason G.

I agree, we like the rules a lot. They're a dream come true for this type of drag racing budget wise.

We're definitely not gonna test the boundaries of the rules, but we are gonna have a good RT and run the dog chit out of early, late and in the middle of the run. It'll be interesting to see what we end up with in the progressor.

If we can do all this well, we will be plenty competitive.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
How many CFM's have they gotten out of a 4150? My Holley HP is 930 or 950 I forgot. Those BES heads are making serious power. Smile

This cast base plate IRD is 1040. This was done by a young man I Super Pro bracket raced with his dad at Sunshine Dragstrip in the 1990's. So he grew up at the drag strip. This is the initial startup, i'd say he's done a great job on the carb, I was impressed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
How many CFM's have they gotten out of a 4150? My Holley HP is 930 or 950 I forgot. Those BES heads are making serious power. Smile

Several companies are in the 1350 - 1600 cfm range with "4150 style" carbs.

https://getmgarage.com/twin-bl...1600-carburetor-gas/

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I had no idea. WOW Eek

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that little black plate underneath makes it's own atmosphere.

The sooner we can get the Fast Lane pre-plate system to 100%, the more it looks like a Hurricane out of the gate.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
4150 w/plate and a low port 23 degree @ 3075lbs

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
I will say this from my experience running Ultra 275 from 2012 to 2014. The class leaders in DXP Street will be gunning to make 1000 hp on motor then the plate on top of that.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
I will say this from my experience running Ultra 275 from 2012 to 2014. The class leaders in DXP Street will be gunning to make 1000 hp on motor then the plate on top of that.

They're doing that in Ultra Street now with sbc's like the time slip Chad introduced, only the sb's are running 4.70's unlimited plate, tall deck blocks big cid sb's, 4150 "style" carbs.

I give a little more respect to the two guys who ran in the 4.90's at Lights Out. I think both those guys know exactly what they're doing.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Aluminum rockers not the way to go 1" lift 1400 plus open spring pressure. We broke one backing out of the shop on the way to the track.

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. Whose steel rocker is that?

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:
Looks nice. Whose steel rocker is that?

Jesel. Good stuff, but I looked at the aluminum Jesel when the guy brought them over and thought to myself, those aren't gonna work. I expressed to the owner we'll start it with the aluminum and you can decide where to go from there. We really were blessed in that one broke backing out of the shop. Once he saw one broke, they were out and the steel Jesel's in.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Darn happy with Lane's efforts at PTC with the work he did on my Cortina core converter. Paul Yerger had this converter working excellent in another combo, I was a little concerned when Paul retired because there's nobody any better than Paul, and he could get the parts for this converter.

PTC got this thing perfect. We rolled it off the trailer first hit way down on power with the tune on the nitrous plate, still went 1.19 first lick.

Thanks goes to PTC!!! Extremely pleased perfect. It'll cross 8400 rpm when we get the nitrous tune up to speed.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Path to 4.99 DXP Street.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did you race the last Duck race?

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
Did you race the last Duck race?

Friday night he run it to the 330 clicked it off, looked at the plugs, said they looked good and made a full pull.

First laps on it. They had the progressor stretched way out still went 1.19 off the trailer. He's got a crew of em ready to go race with him now. He didn't have any help before Ducks race to test at Bradenton, I'm banned from Bradenton.

He's got a crew now, they've been working on a LS combo, so he had no help. Takes 2 - 3 man crew to run one of these cars.

It's been ready, he just had no help. These guys saw the potential and now he's got more help than he knows what to do with.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike, your funny.
I'd like to see you win but it'll be tuff.
What's the best et?
Guessing you didn't do well at ducks race.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post