DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    If you're into 23 sbc's, you may appreciate this start up...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're into 23 sbc's, you may appreciate this start up...
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted

Got the DXP Street legal 4150 induction on the 23 427 engine I completed recently. This is the initial startup with the 4150 carb and intake after heating the oil (pan heater).

This is decent 23 sbc, made 850hp plus with the 4500 induction.

Motown raised cam billet cap, Callies Magnum 3.875 and Callies 5.85 Ultra rods, Ross pistons 4.185, BES RR 23 cylinder heads, Comp camshaft just under 1" lift, Melling billet sharks tooth, Jesel belt and Jesel steel shaft rockers. Pretty interesting build.

We have a couple transmissions I've assembled for the car as well 1.58 low and a 1.64 low. We run a rare 9" Cortina core converter PTC. We'll dyno it with the 4150 induction and it'll see the track in the next few days.

I'll post the video here. It'll knock on the door of 4's 1/8 mile off the trailer. With the DXP Street class legal cheater plate, generic NOS tune.

We're real happy with the intake our local porter Walt did, and the IRD cast base plate class legal 4150 carb.

Class rules are sbc, sbf, sbm 3000 lbs, 275 dot radial tire, untouched NOS cheater plate (does 300 hp or a hair above),cast base 4150 carb, non- welded on 4150 intake. Factory style suspension. Heads up Pro Tree start 1/8 mile.

Ours is a 66 Chevy II leafspring chassis certed to 6.50 1/4 mile.

Very cool class, kinda reminds of the old school street racing days of the 1980's and 1990's.

This is my dyno

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Heck with the start-up video, the track video is what I would like to see. Big Grin Interesting class, I hope it works out good for you guys!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Heck with the start-up video, the track video is what I would like to see. Big Grin Interesting class, I hope it works out good for you guys!

Bob "Hurricane" Hannah was my favorite when I was a kid.

He used to say it's not us I'm worried about, it's everyone else because I see pain and misery for them.

But thanks for the good will, best wishes Smile

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I do agree 1000% B KING, it's a cool class. Great proving ground within reach monetarily, to measure what you've learned drag racing over the 10, 20, 30, 40 years, whatever the case me be, one has been drag racing.

It's all performance fundamental oriented too.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Off the trailer fire and fury, Anger, Rebuke. Isaiah 66:15

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nice build.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

We got everything we could in the nose (no wheely bar allowed). If you look in the video you'll see the fire suppression bottle under the radiator. We moved the fuel system to the nose as well.

We're gonna work as hard as needed, to be the quickest to the 60 ft. That's where it's at small cid, working with 8500 - 9000 rpms.

We're just waiting on a private test session to jump in. Hopefully this weekend.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What intake did it dyno with to make 850 HP? The Dart 4150 intake is very restrictive for that type of build. Even ported. Would be interested to see how much power it kills.

On my old 15 deg. combo a 1250 HP Dominator to a 1000 HP 4150 carb was down 33 HP on the same intake which is much bigger than the Dart shown.

Good luck. It's a really cool class.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerSBC:
What intake did it dyno with to make 850 HP? The Dart 4150 intake is very restrictive for that type of build. Even ported. Would be interested to see how much power it kills.

On my old 15 deg. combo a 1250 HP Dominator to a 1000 HP 4150 carb was down 33 HP on the same intake which is much bigger than the Dart shown.

Jason G.

Really? What intake do you like RR? The 4500 intake we had on this was a DART as well, we had a fogger and Bo Laws 4500 on it and was set to begin testing for Ultra Street when they came out with this dream come true DXP Street class.

I like this intake, i'm not going to elaborate on my approach in using it, or my interpretation of why BES suggested this intake, but I like it and appreciate the heads up that steered me to this intake instead of the Wilson we were gonna use.

From everything I've seen the car will be plenty up to speed off the trailer, for the current performance in the class. We've already been 5 teens with a bracket racing caliber 700 lift Brodix T1 227 headed engine at 3000 lbs with this car with a plate 3-4 years ago at only 132 mph.

I say this will go 5.0 stretching the progressor out at 139 off the trailer with a generic NOS tune. There's no shortage of power or RPM with this deal, in comparison to our bracket racing caliber engine.

I would be interested in what intake you like RR, it'll tell tale your approach. That might be interesting to consider.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I would have used more gear and converter....but I ALWAYS say that. LOL.
The RR heads seem to be the ticket. Any off the shelf tunnel rams set up for twins for those heads? The intake pict show porting. Are the RR's as cast or ported?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I would have used more gear and converter....but I ALWAYS say that. LOL.
The RR heads seem to be the ticket. Any off the shelf tunnel rams set up for twins for those heads? The intake pict show porting. Are the RR's as cast or ported?

LOL! Single 4150 carb, production 4150 intake is DXP Street class legal. I'll post an image of the runner Bucky.

I like this intake A LOT actually, sleeper.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm just asking about the TR in case I ever wanted to go that direction.
I assume the shaft system out of the T1's didn't work on the RR's?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I'm just asking about the TR in case I ever wanted to go that direction.
I assume the shaft system out of the T1's didn't work on the RR's?

No ah, the Brodix T1 shaft rockers would not have worked, but we sold that engine complete anyway. A guy we know had to have it, when he saw it went five teen. We bought the top end from BES with that money. He's still beating on it local Runday Sunday. Typically an engine like that'll run 5.30's maybe a high high 20 132-133, with a nos plate 3000 lbs.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Jason G.

Really? What intake do you like RR? The 4500 intake we had on this was a DART as well, we had a fogger and Bo Laws 4500 on it and was set to begin testing for Ultra Street when they came out with this dream come true DXP Street class.

I like this intake, i'm not going to elaborate on my approach in using it, or my interpretation of why BES suggested this intake, but I like it and appreciate the heads up that steered me to this intake instead of the Wilson we were gonna use.

From everything I've seen the car will be plenty up to speed off the trailer, for the current performance in the class. We've already been 5 teens with a bracket racing caliber 700 lift Brodix T1 227 headed engine at 3000 lbs with this car with a plate 3-4 years ago at only 132 mph.

I say this will go 5.0 stretching the progressor out at 139 off the trailer with a generic NOS tune. There's no shortage of power or RPM with this deal, in comparison to our bracket racing caliber engine.

I would be interested in what intake you like RR, it'll tell tale your approach. That might be interesting to consider.

Let's just say that there is a LOT of gray area in the intake rules. The rules don't say no milling the plenum opening larger, nothing about the carb studs have to be installed in the intake manifold directly. I don't remember seeing anything about no carb spacers. I didn't even see that you had to run a 23 deg. intake with 23 deg. heads. Hell, you don't even have to run 23 deg. heads. It just says commercially available 4150 cast manifold. There are tons of nice 9, 13, 15/18 degree intakes available. What trickery someone does from there seems to be only limited by ones creativity.

The N2O is limited in this class. It is basically build the baddest N/A engine you can with a 4150 intake and carb and then open the ring gap up a little. Wink

There are plenty of top shelf heads that fit the DXP rules. The intake is ultimately where the class leaders will push the limits or the rules will get re-written to limit creativity and gray area...……..heads up racing.

Just my opinion.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jason G.

Let's just say that there is a LOT of gray area in the intake rules. The rules don't say no milling the plenum opening larger, nothing about the carb studs have to be installed in the intake manifold directly. I don't remember seeing anything about no carb spacers. I didn't even see that you had to run a 23 deg. intake with 23 deg. heads. Hell, you don't even have to run 23 deg. heads. It just says commercially available 4150 cast manifold. There are tons of nice 9, 13, 15/18 degree intakes available. What trickery someone does from there seems to be only limited by ones creativity.

The N2O is limited in this class. It is basically build the baddest N/A engine you can with a 4150 intake and carb and then open the ring gap up a little. Wink

There are plenty of top shelf heads that fit the DXP rules. The intake is ultimately where the class leaders will push the limits or the rules will get re-written to limit creativity and gray area...……..heads up racing.

Just my opinion.

Jason G.

Hmmmm, not necessarily. This engine will shine on the spray, not so much N/A. There's plenty of evidence we have the correct sbc cylinder head for nitrous, there is none superior. We like our intake too, a lot. As strange as that may sound.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Also, we're not gonna bend the rules on anything, or interpret the rules subjectively. We know what they want for the class. The same thing we do, straight up drag racing, according to the rules.

We'll have plenty of advantages as it is, according to the fundamentals of drag racing and automobile performance for the simple fact we can do everything in house ourselves. Engines, transmissions, gears, suspension etc etc

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Down South East states many big grudge N/T racers are using the 4150 carb. It tricks a lot of 4500 carb people to thinking there not that
fast. Game on Laughing Hard Maybe 5 years ago but some of the top carb builders are stepping there game up on the 4150 carbs. I am not sure if there missing any HP. Mike I think BES heads are hard to compete with in street outlaw classes. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just my opinion.

Jason G.

Hmmmm, not necessarily. This engine will shine on the spray, not so much N/A. There's plenty of evidence we have the correct sbc cylinder head for nitrous, there is none superior. We like our intake too, a lot. As strange as that may sound.

I think the N2O plate mandate for the class and the cast carb body and cast baseplate were really smart moves regarding the rules to keep people from really getting stupid working around the rules from the get go. Now if the current rules will just be enforced. Even just being able to have a dual pattern 4150 baseplate REALLY, REALLY opens the door to further manipulate the intake rules to make more power. I've done some testing on that and made almost 900 HP with a "4150" intake and inline heads. The carb on the other hand would not have been legal. That was like 8 years ago.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Down South East states many big grudge N/T racers are using the 4150 carb. It tricks a lot of 4500 carb people to thinking there not that
fast. Game on Laughing Hard Maybe 5 years ago but some of the top carb builders are stepping there game up on the 4150 carbs. I am not sure if there missing any HP. Mike I think BES heads are hard to compete with in street outlaw classes. Smile

There a LOT of different versions of "4150 based" carbs that make a lot of steam. They however are NOT cast body and cast 1-3/4" baseplate carbs. Those 2 factors in the DXP rules being discussed here really limit things.

If you throw those two rules out, then the sky is the limit. As in 1100-1200+ HP on motor. That would wreck this class.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
How many CFM's have they gotten out of a 4150? My Holley HP is 930 or 950 I forgot. Those BES heads are making serious power. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post