DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best Electric Fuel pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Electric Fuel pump
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Several years ago I moved a Holley black fuel pump from a car running methanol to one running gasoline. The pump is used to supply an 850 Holley carburetor with a regulator on a SBC. The pump finally quit pumping, but a teardown revealed the pump screen was completely clogged. Can these successfully be rebuilt? What is the best replacement electric fuel pump? I ask about the best replacement electric pump because I see Holley clones listed by Summit, Jeggs, Speedway, etc.at much cheaper prices. Just looking at options.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
The Holley black pump is a good pump up to 700 hp or possibly higher. It can be rebuilt with the exception of the seal between the vane and the motor. If it's older than 6-7 years, it's probably time to just replace it rather than take the chance of it leaking at the track. Or cary a spare and run the current one to failure. Mine is over 10 years old on gas and I carry a spare.
I've no experience with the copy-cat black pumps.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Gonna get a million different answers but here's my humble input. Aeromotive or Fuellab. Not a magnafuel fan, but that's a preference.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you're at a race and your pump quits which pump do you think you stand a chance of someone having a spare? Holley black and in a pinch blue bolts in the same place. Holley will do the job and is very common.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Product Engineering 500. Excellent customer service.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I just put a holley black pump and reg on my dragster. Weighs 2034#s and went 5.18 132 at 7850 ft of air. Not sure what hp as never dynoed but am pleased and like said you can keep a cheap spare or find a replacement easy enough.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I ran a Mallory 250 pump on my roadster for almost 14 years. I would certainly buy another one.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We run a Weldon spraying 500 - 600 hp fogger sbc. Dixie Racing Products has them.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with Mallory Comp 250 and the Aeromotive pumps to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
X2....Weldon

Posts: 6 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
There really isn't a bad fuel pump out there... Just look into the brands that you think you'd like, look for a pump rated for your horsepower and find the best deal. Doesn't mean the cheapest, but the best bang for your buck. I had a Magnafuel 350 on my dragster before it started to sound like it was grinding itself up.. Went to the Prostar 500 and it has been great so far this year.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
Several years ago I moved a Holley black fuel pump from a car running methanol to one running gasoline. The pump is used to supply an 850 Holley carburetor with a regulator on a SBC. The pump finally quit pumping, but a teardown revealed the pump screen was completely clogged. Can these successfully be rebuilt? What is the best replacement electric fuel pump? I ask about the best replacement electric pump because I see Holley clones listed by Summit, Jeggs, Speedway, etc.at much cheaper prices. Just looking at options.

First off you need to address what is clogging the pump screen. Does not matter what brand pump you have if inlet is restricted performance is down and pump has to work harder and will burn up faster. You can not have any restriction on inlet so always use large enough filter and hose and be careful of what fittings you use.

Second thing is no matter what pump you run always run a return style regulator. Your fuel and pump will run cooler, they pump does not have to work nearly as hard and will last much longer. Also it will not vapor lock as long as fuel is circulating and staying cool.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post