DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Piston to Deck Clearance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piston to Deck Clearance
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Mocking up short block and pistons are sticking out of the hole .011. Is this something you would be comfortable with running by going with a .053 head gasket rather than a .041? What's the most you'd be comfortable with the piston out of the hole?

548 BBC (4.530 x 4.250), big m cast iron block, steel rods, forged aluminum pistons, afr 335 heads (aluminum).

Posts: 20 | Location: MI | Registered: September 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lay the head on it no head gasket, spin it over.

What did you find?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's rudimentary but if it don't clear, you have no other option but a thicker head gasket. 053 minimum if you have a good machinist, excellent piston to cylinder clearances.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The pistons will clear with either head gasket.
You probably just won't build up any carbon on the pistons with the .041" gasket..Normal with a max effort engine.
If the pistons are crazy loose in the bores or you don't mind losing a little compression, play it safe and use the .053" gasket.

p.s. I wouldn't bolt the head on without a gasket and try to turn it over. You MAY be able to turn it over with a big enough breaker bar but you risk closing up the ring grooves and pinching the rings.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The 41 will hit, the 53 will knock the carbon off and may also hit, use a 60 and move on.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
With steel rods I disagree. But it's not my engine or decision.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Im not an engine builder but I agree with Top38.

It's a bracket engine. You're not giving up much.

If you was racing comp elim it would be a different story.

Be safer than sorry. You're not going to lose a tenth from the gasket.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
Im not an engine builder but I agree with Top38.

It's a bracket engine. You're not giving up much.

If you was racing comp elim it would be a different story.

Be safer than sorry. You're not going to lose a tenth from the gasket.

I agree. That's why I said "If the pistons are crazy loose in the bores or you don't mind losing a little compression, play it safe and use the .053" gasket."
I coudn't just assume it was a bracket engine, so I gave a couple of qualified opinions/choices.

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Most LS engines end up with proud pistons once they've been decked/trued and it seems to be a non-issue.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 487 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
It’s not good and will be an issue in time. Any piston to head contact is bad, even enough to clean carbon off.
Many ways to resolve. If the piston top is thick, mill 15 off the tops. Off set rod bushings is an option.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12158 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
You say the pistons are .011 out of the hole, but what you don't know is how much piston dome to head clearance there will be. Don't assume that the flat portion of the piston will be the closest part of the piston to the head.

You could put a .060 gasket on it and have .049 clearance on the flat portion of the piston, but .000 (or less) at some point of the dome. Lot of variables there with piston dome/chamber design.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
You say the pistons are .011 out of the hole, but what you don't know is how much piston dome to head clearance there will be. Don't assume that the flat portion of the piston will be the closest part of the piston to the head.

You could put a .060 gasket on it and have .049 clearance on the flat portion of the piston, but .000 (or less) at some point of the dome. Lot of variables there with piston dome/chamber design.

All other clearances are good.

Posts: 20 | Location: MI | Registered: September 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

So you'd prefer it be an aluminum rod... that doesn't make sense to me

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Do not think he is saying it should be aluminum rod.Just that with steel rod less chance of rod stretch causing issue.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a free world, you can disagree!

Should clarify a few things here, first just talking about the piston flats - no dome, and there's touching and there's hitting, big difference.
By touching I mean the piston contacts the head due to piston rock at TDC and this usually cleans of the carbon. Hitting means there's no where else to go and you are compressing the piston/rod between the head and crank, definitely not good.

As bore diameter increases, so does piston rock therefore more piston to head clearance is needed, just as it would when the piston gets looser in the bore. Piston design also plays a role here too...

RPM plays a role here also.

No engine builder out there I know builds a motor for bracket racing that wants hitting or touching to occur!

For the 4.5" to 4.600" BBC's, .050 to .055 total deck clearance is safe, meaning the piston won't touch or hit.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Should clarify a few things here, first just talking about the piston flats - no dome, and there's touching and there's hitting, big difference.
By touching I mean the piston contacts the head due to piston rock at TDC and this usually cleans of the carbon. Hitting means there's no where else to go and you are compressing the piston/rod between the head and crank, definitely not good.

As bore diameter increases, so does piston rock therefore more piston to head clearance is needed, just as it would when the piston gets looser in the bore. Piston design also plays a role here too...

No engine builder out there I know builds a motor for bracket racing that wants hitting or touching to occur!

For the 4.5" to 4.600" BBC's, .050 to .055 total deck clearance is safe, meaning the piston won't touch or hit.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying but with what you're saying here you would be uncomfortable running 0 deck and a standard .041 gasket? I have to imagine there's a ton of people out there running that setup on a steel rod bracket bbc (540-632).

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
FWIW, my reference - preference is a working clearance of no less than .025 (good) steel rod and .05 aluminum as a rule of thumb.
I kind of feel what is being communicated is why push the boundaries for bracket racing @ minimum?

The amount of power gain between being safe and safe enough to get by isn’t going to be worth the effort without closing the deal on the rest of the piston to chamber profiling. If these are off the shelf, out of the box pistons, I wouldn’t waste another minute on pinching it tight, I would make sure it is adequately safe and run it.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Francisco:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying but with what you're saying here you would be uncomfortable running 0 deck and a standard .041 gasket? I have to imagine there's a ton of people out there running that setup on a steel rod bracket bbc (540-632).

I know my 632 that sees a max rpm of 7800 plus touches at .050",, can't argue with the results, this was a new motor, new block. Like I said, bore diameter, rpm, piston design etc all factor into what's really needed. I will say moving done in cubes to a 555 or so does allow for a longer skirt piston which helps.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My engine builder installed offset rod pin bushings 0.015 to cure simular issue in my 505 BBC.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think everyone agrees, in this case, just use a thicker head gasket and live happily ever after.
Nobody will know and nobody should care.

Dave

F J B