DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    intake design with alky in jection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

intake design with alky in jection
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering if any of you have ever swapped intakes with injection and picked up fair amount. Yea all combos different.Not looking for design for my use.Just wondering how much any have found.

Going to be building another sheetmetal intake sometime in future to lower setup with lower injector height and had a design idea in mind since about 90% the way thru current intake. So will be a test piece later on. Wondering how much it might effect power and seeing what other have seen,Just a info thread. Always looking for more and always will be.

Again this has nothing to do with getting my car out its just a research for future project and ideas of things for future projects.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I have with my 598 BBC. Bout .08 on the long track. Older Dart intake to SV 632. When you look at them side by side it was easy to see why it was so much better though.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I run a Victor 2R with dual 4.1" toilets. I'm sure there are much better intake choices but as a bracket racer, it isn't cost effective. I'd love a Dart, Hogan or any sheet metal intake but that's not in my budget. If I ever work in a shop that has a TIG welder and a good welder that does TIG work, I'd get him to make me up something but I can't see that happening in the near future.

If you were a heads up racer where every tenth of a second increase is an advantage then cost of swapping parts is nothing.

Don't know how technical it would be but with injection having the nozzles at the base of the intake, does the intake really need to be that tall? There's no air/fuel to keep suspended in the intake itself. A low profile intake allowing a straight shot of air from the throttle bodies to the intake port should work just as good as a tall intake especially when using injection. Just my opinion anyway.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1351 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would spend more money for a professionally ported head / intake package (sbc on mfi) to output more hp than an out of the box head / intake that would require more cu/in displacement to develop the same hp. I’ve never owned the out of the box package.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Nothing about this is out of box. Heads are factory I guess but factory is BAE.Not really in intakes for these except sheetmetal or blower manifold converted.Have blower manifolds and have conversion pieces( box and plate),far from ideal.

As for height short vs tall.Short runners are more top end and longer more mid range and bottom. Have a good amount of research in to design of intakes. Not saying info will tell me how much I will pickup or loose with different design.It might tell me rather I am on right track and some left or if I need to try another design. Like I stated just looking to see what aome others may have found in performance gain and/or loss when they changed.I may find out that a few made changes expected___ and got nothing.Which would tell me design with injected deal not near as picky.

As for work smarter and not harder.For me it not harder its more enjoyable. If I work for cpl weeks at night and build something for car and have it pickup a .01 over old I feel time well spent. Cost wise only expense is aluminum,argon,filler and electricity.By the way while sheetmetal intakes cost a butt load,THEY ARE NOT BAD when you look at what it takes.If you consider it work. For me its blood pressure control,nightly news especially political tends to make it rise.

Not head sup racer nowadays,used to be and its still counts if I can make it happen for little to nothing more than work.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
I have worked on more than one injection where the hat was bolted directly to a blower manifold.
Can't get much shorter than that.

Old style front engine diggers for the most part. The reason most of the time was improved forward vision.

I even adapted a shotgun hat to a single 4 bbl manifold for one customer with a door car. Don't recall the why of it but it ran well.
So...anything is possible and workable.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
yea have one of those blower manifold with adapter and it works. How well compared to sheet metal intake and well designed injection setup?

I don't expect huge difference in second design.Kind of hoping it will not be big and then hoping it will be at same time. Car should be fairly well sorted out by time its build and ready to run. Big gain while good will mean lots of tweaking of setup. That's only reason I would like to get done before hand.Heck If first snow storm is indication of winter to come,I should be able to build back up car.LMAO

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Gotta set your goals and stick to it.
If it's indeed a bracket car it will not matter what you use. That is why shoe polish was invented.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea but the old TA/-- crew chief never dies. Always going to be trying to build something faster. My old joke when asked why I had to take everything apart even if not broken"I am like Oscar Goldman and Rudy Wells .Can make if bigger,stronger and run faster". Now only the 50 and over will know where that came from. LOL

I realize that with bracket deal I can't get more every run like god intended for drag racers to do. I can how ever try new things on off weeks and if works tune it out,if not back to basic. While consistent rules this game,being fast is still fun. Hell my Harley's has been sitting for 7 years because can't afford a blower to make either of them faster and thats about all thats left to really pick them up.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been down that road chasing ET and MPH. Spend thousands to gain .05, or most of the time lose a few hundredths.

The only one that was actually a gain is this current deal. 438" Ford windsor, I originally just bolted a super victor to the engine and ran with it after spending $2500 on heads--and not picking up a single MPH or hundredth. I asked around about the intake and nobody said it was worth messing with, and that changing to something else (2828) wasn't going to help me any. I sent it off and had it worked over and picked it up a little-BUT-it's a bracket car, and looking back it wasn't worth the money.

Anymore if I even get to go to the track at all it's a miracle for a lot of reasons.

Here is my advice. WE aren't getting any younger. Every weekend that you don't get to go is a weekend that you don't go racing. Put it together and go run it before something happens and you can't....And that's coming from someone who simply can't go sometimes and I hate it.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Again I understand about getting car out and running piss out of it. Nobody wants it on track more than me. At same time building new intake to go with new injector and lowering everything about 4 to 5" and narrowing it down about 5" will delay nothing and only makes car easier to drive the stripe since I will be better able to see it.LOL Power wise I hope it will add little,but if it don't no big thing. Cost of both pieces will be about 250 bucks and only thing that might slow up is purchase of head restraint.But with Santa coming and normally get 300 to 400 in jegs gift cards thats not real issue either.

I sm just researching design before doing a butt load of welding and some machine work. Like I said its either work in shop or watch boob tube.