DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aftermarket hood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket hood
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Looking for 1st hand info, fitment, issues with both a bolt on and pin on 98-2002 WS6 4inch Ram Air hood made by JoeVanO or VFN. If anyone here has either or you know someone that runs either of these hoods, let me know. TIA

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
VFN has always been poor fitment call Glasstech also from Illinois there stuff is top notch I have installed both and there is no comparison

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 400 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I always heard the same. I did call Glasstec and they don't make the hood I want.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've got a friend who lives close by VFN, used to work there.

He gets a little better price and to the front of line or closer to it, handles shipping updates and the whole nine yards.

I pay him. You just need a part # he'll handle the rest.

This is a VFN I got through the man I'm talking about, fit really well except for the left front corner was a hair low. Wasn't perfect but good enough. Looked alright, I'd have gave it a 9, 9.5 score.

Harwood I run now about the same score 9, 9.5. I'm not sure where ya gotta go to get perfection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If yours is damaged but it’s a GM hood I find someone that could fix it if it fit well

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not damaged. Want to swap out my 4150 carb for a dominator which will require changing the intake manifold too which is taller. In addition, the dominator throttle stop is taller than the 4150 stop too.

Mike, find out how quickly he can get the WS6 4” beast hood or the WS6 4” sloped hood built, both bolt on.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just their website that hood looks badass

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Will the carb clear the bottom of the windshield I know gets close on Camaros

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No, have to cut the glass too, a semi circle about 3” up from the bottom to clear the rear bowl. A friend has this done on his 4th gen Camaro.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
A while back I fit a VFN lift off hood and nose on a 4th gen Camaro. Same basic deal perimeter wise as the Firebird. Also used dzus rails from Racecraft Inc.

Just not a fan of the hood but that has more to do with the car itself. It’s a huge hood and will require two people to take on and off. Also with the hood I installed it was an extended version that went back to the windshield. The corners have a funky/stupid add on piece at the rear that I feel have the potential to crack or break off if you’re not super careful. Also means there is an additional dzus bracket that has to be installed on either side in that rear corner. I had to take the fenders off just to install that one dzus tab as there wasn’t room with the fender on the car.

The hood even being lift off isn’t very light will sag in the middle and lay against the windshield unless a support is fabricated.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The hood you described is the VFN pin on, similar to the Joe VanO hood which I own but it doesn’t have that funky piece. It fills that void with the carbon fiber dzus rail having an extension. On the fence about using this hood. Good info, thanks Todd.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Want to swap out my 4150 carb for a dominator which will require changing the intake manifold too which is taller. In addition, the dominator throttle stop is taller than the 4150 stop too.

Have you decided on the intake manifold & carb size yet; care to share?

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2515 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock 2927 Super Victor and 1250 dominator

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hood you described is the VFN pin on, similar to the Joe VanO hood which I own but it doesn’t have that funky piece. It fills that void with the carbon fiber dzus rail having an extension. On the fence about using this hood. Good info, thanks Todd.

Your welcome.

The other thing with the lift off VFN is that it’s not an oversized/trim to fit hood. It was molded with a 90 degree flange around the perimeter which had to be cut/ground off to lay flat on the dzus rails. This means you can’t adjust or fudge the fit close to the fenders for a clean gap. Not every car is the same and with this style hood you can’t make the gaps fit how you want since there isn’t any extra material.

Needless to say, I felt the hood was lacking in the quality department. The bolt on nose piece was no better. Quite heavy, very thick, but about the only choice we had for this customer.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
this bolt on hood, VFN's "the Beast" looks great in this photo with gaps that are as good if not better than OEM.

That's a killer look'n hood, Dominator carb will fit it well.

I left a voice message, last I heard from him he made a comment on the 496 third gen Camaro YouTube video, 3,4 months ago.
Hope he's alright, usually gets right back to me.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
this bolt on hood, VFN's "the Beast" looks great in this photo with gaps that are as good if not better than OEM.

Definitely a nice aggressive styled hood. Really suits the body lines well. I’d think it might be a bit of a pain to look over, but probably get used to it after a while.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the beast hood above goes straight back towards the windshield after the rise. Their other bolt on 4" hood below, slopes down as it approached the windshield for better vision

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed - check with Mike Mans (FastShocks) from MN. He went to a ram air hood on his SS/AS car a few years ago, not sure which brand. They’re stuff is nicer than almost anybody else at the track and he’ll be able to tell you what worked for him.

Posts: 27 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My son has been speaking to Mike for a few months and we now have the same pin on JoeVanO hood Mike has.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not damaged. Want to swap out my 4150 carb for a dominator which will require changing the intake manifold too which is taller. In addition, the dominator throttle stop is taller than the 4150 stop too.

Mike, find out how quickly he can get the WS6 4” beast hood or the WS6 4” sloped hood built, both bolt on.

Why the switch? Car seemed to be running well as is....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post