DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aftermarket hood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket hood
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Just race it with no hood..... lol.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
THAT ain't ever going to happen and the obvious reason I'm swapping is to run quicker and faster.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
the obvious reason I'm swapping is to run quicker and faster.

Realistic what are you hoping to gain for ET & MPH or is it to feed more displacement, as in motor swap also?

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2528 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The carb and manifold swap is at least 30HP, then there’s the increased airflow to the carb compared to the carb tight to the underside of the stock hood. How much all that’s worth on a 3220 lb. door car is anybodies guess but it should be at least .05 and 1 mph.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
The Cavalier I bought had a JoeVanO hood.

It fit nice, well braced, not wavy. Really nice!

How much was a new one? I will never use this again so I was going to sell it. Thanks!

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be the best

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
update...

this VFN bolt on hood

is obnoxious compared to the JoeVanO pin on hood which is so much sleeker. The VFN hood fit good in relation to the fenders and headlights however the underside structure at the rear of the hood would need to be cut out for carb clearance too.

So, I'm back to either using the JoeVanO hood or stay with the 4150 carb and stock hood unless I can find a bolt on hood that rises 2" above the stock ram air hood quickly that I don't believe anyone makes.

Got about 3 weeks until the bird is back together and ready to go to the painter.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The carb and manifold swap is at least 30HP, then there’s the increased airflow to the carb compared to the carb tight to the underside of the stock hood. How much all that’s worth on a 3220 lb. door car is anybodies guess but it should be at least .05 and 1 mph.

FWIW I had a 572" BBC with a 1250 Dominator less than 3/4" from underside of hood. Gave it an extra 2" clearance and it made no difference. None!

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect to see any difference. But in my case, I'd also be swapping from a 1.7" venturi x 1 3/4" throttle bore 4150 to a 1.88V x 2.125TB 1250 Dominator.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Decision has been made, staying with the stock ram air hood.

JoeVanO hood is for sale.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Decision has been made, staying with the stock ram air hood.

JoeVanO hood is for sale.

I really liked the Joe Van O hood but I do get there’s a lot to factor into the swap and sometimes it may just not be worth it in the end.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The JoeVanO hood is the best there is for these F body cars if you want a 4” pin on hood. I just prefer a hinged hood and the aftermarket option is obnoxious. So I’ll stay with the stock ram air hood, 4150 carb and manifold. 5.50s/8.70s is still pretty stout for a 3200+ lb. back halved door car besides, this entire exercise was to have more MPH in NHRA S/ST. Next season when I freshen the engine maybe I’ll swap the Headhunter heads for BRX 20s or 16s.