DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    weather stations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

weather stations?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dale Greenawald
posted
What weather station are you guys useing? I am looking to get one and want to see what you guys like and don't like.
Thanks.

ICS RACING ENGINES

Posts: 82 | Location: Burgettstown,Pa. | Registered: March 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Computech Race air hand held with crew chief pro. I am not sold on the Computech throttle stop program. Regular dial in always worked good for me.

Thing is it is a reference tool. It is only as good as the info given to it and the car that it is working with.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Altronics Proform air pc with crew chief pro software. Works well

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
These were from Thursday night in Topeka, same session. Altalab trailer station with wind and paging, and Crew Chief Pro. Still mostly luck!

I rely on predictions fairly heavily when throttle stop racing. When bracket racing, I use all of this stuff to collect data but don't put any stock in the predictions.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Remind me to stay away from Lenny in Super Comp...

We currently sell the Altalab Paging and Non Paging trailer stations, Performaire Paging and Non Paging, and Computech's new trailer station.

We offer hand held weather stations as well.

There is no wrong answer, I have sold these for well over 20 years and they all work well and are extremely accurate.

Are you looking for a paging system or non paging?

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don

What's the pro's and con's of the hand held units vs the weather stations and are they effected by direction sunlight exposer?

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dale Greenawald
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info.
Wow. These weather stations have come along way. The one I had was a tag. It had to be 15 years old or older.I just want to get a nice hand held one. Unless there is a big advantage to a trailer mounted one. I am a bracket racer. I don't do any .90 racing.

Don, I am guessing it pages you if the weather changes.

ICS RACING ENGINES

Posts: 82 | Location: Burgettstown,Pa. | Registered: March 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Don

What's the pro's and con's of the hand held units vs the weather stations and are they effected by direction sunlight exposer?

Trailer weather stations and the good hand held systems both have fan aspiration. A fan pulls air across the sensors which makes them more accurate, even in direct sunlight.

The less expensive weather stations don't have this feature, and can vary in temperature quite a bit in direct sunlight.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale Greenawald:
Thanks guys for the info.
Wow. These weather stations have come along way. The one I had was a tag. It had to be 15 years old or older.I just want to get a nice hand held one. Unless there is a big advantage to a trailer mounted one. I am a bracket racer. I don't do any .90 racing.

Don, I am guessing it pages you if the weather changes.

Trailer based Paging systems will page you with updated predictions every 2 minutes.

If you want a hand held then we offer the Performaire Eclipse or Computech Race Air and Race Air PRO weather stations and all 3 have fan aspiration. Prices begin at $445.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Family Software Bob is great with service and setup.

Posts: 10 | Location: Montville | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Don what software would you recommend for a blown alcohol TD? I see you have one for nitro, but not alcohol. How well would your prediction software work with changing pills based on changing weather conditions?

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a Computech RaceAir Pro for sale. I've only raced about 4 weekends this year, maybe a couple more and then I'm gonna take a break. It has a lot of features, most I've never even used. Let me know if your interested, I won't have any need for it.

Posts: 96 | Location: Lynn Garbage | Registered: July 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Computech for the win. Started out with a Raceair Pro handheld, had it converted to a trailer based paging system. Yes, they can do that upgrade, without purchasing a new unit. There is charge, but it saves you from buying a new unit. Support after the sale is fantastic. Jay and Matt answer calls evenings and weekends and make you glad you purchased from them.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap. This has all the features I will ever need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GRAVEDANCER:
I have a Computech RaceAir Pro for sale. I've only raced about 4 weekends this year, maybe a couple more and then I'm gonna take a break. It has a lot of features, most I've never even used. Let me know if your interested, I won't have any need for it.

PM sent

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of MM Racing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I'm using the Altronics Proform air pc with crew chief pro software. Works well

Same here. Great combo with no complaints.

-Phil Watkins
Midnight Machine Racing

Posts: 133 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Don what software would you recommend for a blown alcohol TD? I see you have one for nitro, but not alcohol. How well would your prediction software work with changing pills based on changing weather conditions?

We already have factors for Blown Alcohol built into Crew Chief Pro. If you run low 6s then the default factors will work well.

You can have the system refactor after a few passes ( provided it runs consistent ). It will learn from the runs you enter.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

We already have factors for Blown Alcohol built into Crew Chief Pro. If you run low 6s then the default factors will work well.

You can have the system refactor after a few passes ( provided it runs consistent ). It will learn from the runs you enter.

Good deal thanks Don, plan is then to buy whole package from you including trailer base weather station when the funds are available to do so.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Another vote for AltaLab and Crew Chief.

I transferred my Alta Lab and Crew Chief to my sons trailer to be used with his Blown Alky Top Dragster at the Phoenix Division event. After three runs and a small factor adjustment it gave him a dead on number.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the few who has problems with stuff no one else does and I don't have problems with stuff everyone else does.

My Altalab weather station went back to them about five times before they got it fixed. I'm still scared to try it on straight 12 volts so I just run it on a 110 inverter.

Same thing with Digital Delay dial board. It spent more time in their shop than it did on the car. They finally got it fixed (cold solder joints) and I sold it after that.

Other stuff like transmissions and ignition boxes that seems like everyone has trouble with will run forever in my junk. Hell, maybe that's a good thing. LOL

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post