Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    trailer winch in cabinet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trailer winch in cabinet
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
New trailer is being built and I'm planning the winch layout. The winch will be in the side cabinet. Anyone have any input or pictures how they went with the winch from the side to some type of cable mount in the center of the trailer. I was thinking of doing a d ring and a snatch block.

Posts: 27 | Location: nitrousville | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

something like this or this.

Posts: 27 | Location: nitrousville | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
No photos here, just an opinion. Kinda like the "D" ring attachment method over the vertical post method. Less to trip over when not in use...

"D" ring might take a bit more load too...

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 304 | Location: DSofA | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
your trailer builder should be able to provide you will the info as well the parts. Very common setup

O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

Support our President! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 8733 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrous1:

something like this or this.

Top one is mine. No issues crawling under the car, sliding in and out. Since then I have gone to the nylon rope, probably right after the picture was taken. I pull the pin and move the rope out of the way when working. Have even gone out my side door to an open trailer and pulled his broken car on his trailer for him, with another snatch block.

Posts: 706 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
How is the pulley attached to the D-Ring?

Posts: 478 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
I took the ring out, welded a pc of tube to the block and put the bolt back through. I wanted it permanent. Just like the aluminium sheet on the floor, I have never had an issue, tripping or slipping. I am sure if you positioned the d ring in the right spot as compared to the winch and clipped the snatch block with a clevis instead of a hook, you could make it removable.

Posts: 706 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
was thinking of putting a d ring on the floor then using something like this so I can take it on and off so I'm not tripping on it.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Do you have the wench bolted to the frame?

Posts: 1530 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
In the past I've used something like you posted above and it worked just fine. On the trailer I have now, I had the winch put in the floor and it has worked great.

Posts: 930 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It will have a winch plate in the side cabinet and then a small hole for the cable to go through

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I need to mount my winch, and was planning to put it on the front bulkhead, about 6-8 inches above the floor. Dead center or a shade to the Right of center, since the golf cart goes tight to the left wall, and toolbox/cabinet/generator & compressor sit at front to the R. Only reason I haven't done so, was the idea of an unsightly reinforcing plate on the outside front of the trailer. Was going to ask for suggestions or pictures of how others did theirs, but I may have to do something like what these guys are, with a snatch block.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 429 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I have mine in the front cabinet centered on the floor. I built a steel block to raise the height ~8" to clear the cabinet frame the door is on.
Works fine

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12143 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
I have mine in the front cabinet centered on the floor. I built a steel block to raise the height ~8" to clear the cabinet frame the door is on.
Works fine

Paul, mind sharing a pic? PM if you prefer. Thanks.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 429 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
I took the ring out, welded a pc of tube to the block and put the bolt back through. I wanted it permanent. Just like the aluminium sheet on the floor, I have never had an issue, tripping or slipping. I am sure if you positioned the d ring in the right spot as compared to the winch and clipped the snatch block with a clevis instead of a hook, you could make it removable.

What thickness did you use on the floor? My coin floor is shot, I like the idea of smooth aluminum.

Dale

Posts: 41 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Works fine

Paul, mind sharing a pic? PM if you prefer. Thanks.

sure can
send me an email address or friend me on FB.
I don't do pics on DRR

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12143 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaleH:
What thickness did you use on the floor? My coin floor is shot, I like the idea of smooth aluminum.

Dale