DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Light tension rings in a 632
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light tension rings in a 632
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted
How many of you 632 & up guys run light tension springs, I'm rebuilding my 632 now and I have both light & std. tension rings, I would like to take full advantage of my 5 stage dry sump & 4 vane enhanced vac. pump & gas ported slugs but am worried if it'll 'Huff' alittle....my machinist/advisor don't like using light tension rings on big bore pistons. Thanks! Hairy Smiley

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A little smoke on start up never hurt anyone.....lol....

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
This is diceman1530 's old motor built by PAR w/ light tension rings. Hoping for 1100 hp.
...that's 1 vote for light by Howie...

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HSMITH1039:

Agreed but my engine is 17 cubic inches shy of the club.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
How many of you 632 & up guys run light tension springs, I'm rebuilding my 632 now and I have both light & std. tension rings, I would like to take full advantage of my 5 stage dry sump & 4 vane enhanced vac. pump & gas ported slugs but am worried if it'll 'Huff' alittle....my machinist/advisor don't like using light tension rings on big bore pistons. Thanks! Hairy Smiley

What size is the oil ring,, 3 mm standard tension rings are pretty light to start with vs 3/16"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just like with the Q,,, cheater!!! Full Moon

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Easy Patroit lover.........

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Yup, 3 mm. The low tension set is 11-12#'s, can't find info on set that is on pistons now - he told me they were 14#'s....JG7708-4600-5
Ain't a whole lot of difference there so I'll throw them in as-is w/ 14's...

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How much vac can you draw?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easy Patroit lover.........

The correct word is fan! Pat's fan!

BTW I thought Q was not allowed in Comp! Need for speed

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Comp? I'm just a bracket racer.....lol

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would stick with 14#. It will probably be 8 when its running. The aluminum block grows. The bore isn't exact because its been honed a second or third time.

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anyone ask , will this engine see any nitrous ???

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Machinist of mine doesn't want me running them, so never have. At 555ci. It's is not worth the little bit of power and since I bracket race... Always come back to probably not worth it.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1434 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Don't do the light rings. You will make more HP with an oil free cylinder than you will by reduced drag on the oil ring.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't run anything but those. If the hone is right it won't smoke, especially with lots of vacuum.

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nichols:
Don't do the light rings. You will make more HP with an oil free cylinder than you will by reduced drag on the oil ring.

This ^^^^^^
Not worth taking the chance of oil contaminating your combustion chamber, it's a quick path to detonation.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1615 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I went w/ the 14# rings - I already had a detonation failure once upon a time, don't want that again...Motors going in 2-nite!