DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MFI pump sucking hose shut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MFI pump sucking hose shut
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Anyone had a problem with nylon back braided hose sucking shut with MFI. I am not sure this is the issue but with the weak spot my main fuel line has on the suction side, it is highly possible or so it looks.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On the fuel lines I will not use anything other than the PTFE lined hose. It lasts much longer and does not degrade, crack and dry out like regular hose does. Really not that much more money and lasts WAY longer. Only draw back to it is you can not bend it much with out it kinking. Which you should have all the lines ran properly any way.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
no but I do use there spring inside the hose to make me feel better

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
If I had a fuel line collapsing, the 1st thing I would look at is the fuel tank vent, especially if I was running methanol.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Like stated .Do not know but suspect ir could because it wseems very easy to collpase using thumb and finger squeezing it. Then it was middle finger anf it is strong from years of use driving highways every day.LOL

Think I am going to go back to the 12 line and install the spring as suggested If nothing else it will eliminate possibility of if happening.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Also a lot of dragsters use aluminum tube for much of the fuel line and then short rubber hose couplings.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Also a lot of dragsters use aluminum tube for much of the fuel line and then short rubber hose couplings.

Mine is aluminum from tank back to 1' before pump with short line and 458 up to pump to keep line out ofm kink and avoid a 90.

All of my older cars has alluminum all the way to pump with very short hose.like 3 inches and most of that was over pipe. It was also 1.5 to 2" line depending on pump. This one looks tiny at 1".

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
If one is using tubing and a 90 degree hose from the tube to the pump go buy a cheap hose at the parts store and steal the spring out of it.
The silicone hoses out there have a thicker wall but are not immune to being sucked in.

MFI maintenance.
Change every O-ring between the tank and the pump every year. The system can suck air from a tired,squished, hardened o-ring joint but not give you a clue by leaking.
Many "my pump is getting tired" can be traced to this issue.

Probably not a problem but if the project car takes years in construction perhaps those should be checked or replaced before putting it in the box.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well its been in box. Just found that the primer side was pulling fuel thru the poppet and adding fuel at idle.Figure not issue under WOT since no vacuum then. Sure fubar the BV setting.LOL

With pump mounted lower and to side with belt drive I could not use my norm with 90* tube so have to go with piece of hose between hardline and pump. May not be issue but figure cut off problem even if not one yet. I have seen big pumps suck them shut or part shut before. A 7gpm pump might not be able to do so,why chance it right.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:

MFI maintenance.
Change every O-ring between the tank and the pump every year. The system can suck air from a tired,squished, hardened o-ring joint but not give you a clue by leaking.
Many "my pump is getting tired" can be traced to this issue.

Three times I have seen people say the pump was bad only to find out there was a leak on the suction side of the pump, loose fitting, cracked fuel line etc.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"