DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Any Ford tech here i need help!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Ford tech here i need help!!
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted
Dealing with my girl friends moms car. Its a 2014 ford fiesta.. Its been to the dealer many times from the previous owner. Car has around 60k and the battery will randomly go dead. Its not every day or even monthly. Sometimes it goes 3-4 months without going dead.. Ford say nothing wrong ,but there is a bunch of owners with they say issue with these cars from 2009 to now.. Some say its in the radio or the dash cluster. If anyone can help that be great.. Everything software wise was supposed to be update. Few months ago ford kept the car for 1 week and they said we can't find anything. I really want to burn the thing to the ground..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Buy a chevy......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Great input... Thanks for that wealth of knowledge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RacerVX54,

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Pull fuses one at a time to see if the problem goes away...lots of things can cause it in those cars from clusters to radios, interior lights, etc.....One thing, is the battery the original? If so, try swapping it out with another one...Batteries can do weird stuff before failing...also check for door switches not disconnecting circuits, power ports shorted, anything that could cause a draw to take place...that doesn't narrow it down much but there is a lot to check.....ends up being process of elimination.

On the battery deal, just getting it tested isn't good enough. It may pass, but could have internal damage that only acts up on occasion...replace it with another known good one and see if anything changes...

If all that fails, go see your local Chevy dealer.....hehehehheheh

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Battery has been replaced. Its very random when it goes dead. Ford pretty mush tell you we found no problems. They said software update would fix it guess what it didn't.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a GM product do this. Also a Dodge truck. On both the fix was new battery. Batteries tested fine. However they were both on the way out. Drove me crazy. Replace with new and problem goes away! Defied logic but worked

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Diode in alternator?

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Had a Tahoe do this. 3 different dealerships no one found the problem. One said it was the battery and it wasn't. It ended up being the Body Contol Module wasn't shutting down.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Intermittent electrical drains are the worst possible thing to diagnose (properly).

Been through it a bunch of times, but not on Fords. I do tractors not cars.

Usually an intermittent "stuck on" condition with a control module or relay module. Ask your girl friend's mom to look at the radio and dome light every time she gets out of the car. They should turn off as soon as the door is opened. If they don't turn off, there is either a problem with the door switch or the control module, both contributing to voltage "drain". My F250 used to do this too but on mine it was simply the door switch. Lubricated it, has been fine for the 5 years since.

Dealer says "nothing wrong" because they only have so much time to try to figure them out. If there is an intermittent problem and they can't get the problem duplicated, they're going to send it out the door and go to the next job. The other option, leave the car there for up to a few months or however long it takes for them to duplicate it, but the downside is that it will have more time/miles racked up on it and she'll be paying clock time. What is Ford's labor rate now? $125/hr? It adds up quick.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Big Grin

Actually that may not be a bad idea. You could put and electric master solenoid on there with a hidden switch. If you turn it off the battery will not go dead and make it hard to steal. But your electric door locks etc would not work when master is off.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
There are wireless key fob operated battery disconnects available that work well . A bandaid but it does work with problematic battery drains .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If it was a 1969 Camaro the shutoff would be practical, doing that on a 2014 vehicle isn't going to work as planned. As someone suggested if the operator could check everything when they park it or be very aware of clues as to what causes it that would go a long way to diagnosis. Unless there is a documented common failure on that vehicle it's going to be tough to find.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did she have a new key made for this vehicle in the past? My Dad's pickup would drain battery and I couldn't figure out what did it. But thought since my Dad rarely drove it that was part of the cause. If it was driven or started often then it would be ok mostly from it charging while running. When he passed I acquired the truck and same issue. Then one day truck key would not work. Had a new key made and programmed the key by watching a youtube video. That new key fixed it and I am guessing it had something to do with the security system on the truck draining the battery. Dad had lost his keys before and a new key was made and not sure how it was programmed then but maybe it wasn't done right. This is a on a 2008 chevy truck so not sure it applies to yours but if it has a factory security system it might be something to look into. By the way I'm no ford Tech but I did stay at a Holiday Inn in the past. Good Luck I hope you figure it out.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Big Grin

lol, this is close to what i did for a while. Downfall was that the computer has to relearn every time you go from on to off.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Pulled the fuse for the radio. Wait and see now it started this morning...It really is a PITA

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I mentioned this subject to a ford tech I know. He said that they had issues with some of the harnesses, where they pass near/over the shock tower back toward the firewall. Just passing it along, for what it's worth.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
So pulled the radio fuse out and it died again lasted a few weeks ... This car is a giant piece of trash i would never by a thing with Ford on it...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
BCM might be going bad, it will show itself a lot as a defective or dead battery. It also can be a real pain as it will not always provide you any related codes. Depending on the cost of a BCM part (and usually programming), the vehicle might not be worth it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
So pulled the radio fuse out and it died again lasted a few weeks ... This car is a giant piece of trash i would never by a thing with Ford on it...

My dad always claimed, the biggest mistake Ford ever made was doing away with the hand crank. Big Grin

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post