DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    T-brake question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T-brake question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Is it acceptable to ground the solenoid to the transmission pan?

Trans man told me the solenoid draws 8 Amps. Is a 20 amp fuse okay?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I hope so, that's how mine is wired and I've never had a problem with it working, except for when I forgot to plug the power wire back in.......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Mine is grounded to the pan bolt also.

Tip - Make sure the wires are not on the back of solenoid where said solenoid will eventually rub through the wire and the transbrake will not work. Just hypothetically speaking, lol.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If the torque converter pin welds itself in the crankshaft, at least you'll know why.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
better have one hell of fuse in that line for it to weld itself thru transmission pan,thru transmission and probably take few amps to get that to melt together.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Any trans builder worth a dam will tell you NO. Ground should go directly to the battery or to the frame at a common ground point with a ground wire back to the battery. TB solinoid is one of the most important components on your car, why would you not want to give it the best chance of operating correctly because of a simple ground wire?

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
AND you will sleep better at night. ^^^ lol

Just went through this with a friend. Hey, what's that wire to that pan for? That an electric pan or something? He didn't think it was funny...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have mine grounded on plastic fan shroud which is bolted to metal. My neighbor said his buddy's 67 Firebird in high school was done in this fashion. SOOoooo!

Crossmember

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Blowing smoke seems popular on this topic!

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've seen plenty grounded to the pan and they worked. Mine's grounded to the main ground which goes to the battery. Easy enough to run 2 wires and install a quick connect, I used a weatherpak, and my spare solenoid is setup with the same connector so it's easy to swap and the ground is good.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
As long as the engine is properly grounded it's not going to make a difference.

FYI, I watched a video where they tested a direct ground to battery vs. grounding to the body. They checked for voltage drop across the ground. They used a 2/0 battery cable going from an amplifier that went directly to the battery ground from the amp, using all gold plated terminals. The second test was grounding the amp to the body panels in the back of the car. Believe it or not, there was more voltage drop on the direct ground than there was on the body ground. In case you're wondering, if you have more than a total voltage drop of .5 volts across the entire system, you have too much. In that test they had nearly a full volt on the dedicated ground, less than .1 on the body ground.....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't advise grounding the trans solenoid to a trans pan bolt going through an aluminum pan and case.

On my Firebird the solenoid is grounded to the frame, same with my dragster as Big Steve explained.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The aluminum in the trans case and engine block if you run an aluminum block is a better conductor than chromoly is. Regardless of how you have it grounded, if your engine/chassis is properly grounded, it's very doubtful you'll ever have an issue, and as long as you keep the connections clean and tight.

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
We don't recommend grounding through the trans either.

just for comparison google 5r110 welded pump bushing or something similar. I've seen converters removed with snatch chains after an improperly grounded trans welded the pump bushing to the converter.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Great information people and thanks for sharing. I'll ground it to the starter bolt where my main ground cable is.

I thought the trans pan might be a little sketchy, but then I thought about how internal solenoids aren't grounded externally so I thought I better ask.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I helped a fellow racer repair a header at race track one day he has his grounded to collector bolt I questioned it said been that multiple seasons

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I've grounded to the trans pan forever with no issues.
With a steel trans mount less then a foot from the solenoid there might be micro amps that stray else where.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
And those with internal solenoids???

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post