New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodyear 3122
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anybody running this tire in the 4.40-4.60 range? I have been running 6psi and have been having some shake issues about 60ft. Goodyear is telling me run 7-7.5psi of air, but that seems like a lot. Has anybody else tried that much air?

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Have you talked to Mart Lively from
Shelby Carter-Maxwell yet? If not, I'll PM you his number. A wealth of info from this man. I spent 3 hours with him at the divisionals. He is with Goodyear.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That is who is telling me 7-7.5psi
I agree super nice guy.

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have made air pressure mistakes with the D2A's running 6-6.5 in the past. No shake but shutter at the hit. I run a smaller tire than you. That's a big tire. Haven't been out yet with the new hides.
Next week. I will go with his advice also starting at 7. Problem was too low of AP and tire was wadding up to much. Adverse effect on WS.Sidewall issues and you could see it plain as day. But me not knowing what I'm looking for, he pointed it right out. In my case sidewall issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOPDRAGSTER:
Anybody running this tire in the 4.40-4.60 range? I have been running 6psi and have been having some shake issues about 60ft. Goodyear is telling me run 7-7.5psi of air, but that seems like a lot. Has anybody else tried that much air?

I can tell you this,,, my MT's work from 4.8 to 6 PSI. Never shake, rattle etc.. just repeat and repeat, why would u use anything else?

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by MOPDRAGSTER:

I can tell you this,,, my MT's work from 4.8 to 6 PSI. Never shake, rattle etc.. just repeat and repeat, why would u use anything else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREED! Just took a set of little bubbas of the 4.70-80 car...nearly 280 laps on them! Have over 200 laps on the 4.50-60 car with the Big bubbas! Just put them on the slow car!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Had an interesting conversation with Frank Parks on a specific tire i had shake/break issues with.
(H). Talking about getting yelled at... lol..
It was all in fun. Great Guy.. Went back to GY and stayed there.Since it's his car. He knows what works and what dosen't

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Ran a N&P car from ‘94 to 2014, he basically yelled at me and was a d!ck from the day we bought the car until we asked our last question about it a few years later. Great car but I will never spend money with a company that treats me like that a second time even though he is just down the street from me. I text Justin Melton any time day or night and he bends over backwards to help me, made a few hundred passes in the sixes with this car on three different brands of tires and never had issue one with it. That being said my N&P car liked Hoosiers work 4.75 lbs of air and Goodyear’s with closer to 6 but that was years ago and different tires I’m sure.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Yours a HT car?. I always take it with a grain of salt. Dosen't bother me at all. If it takes a stern voice, it is what it is. Must be the low blood pressure lol. Didn't know M&M only does suspended.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed to switching to the 3195 for example. But I do about 60-70% super comp and 90% of the people that have them say they struggle with a pro tree with them. I am not one of the naturally fast button operators.
I am also debating going back to a 33 tall tire to help with reaction time and maybe help the shake issue with a shorter sidewall.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Ya that 3122 is a pretty aggressive tire (D2G)
Roll out average 108. Looks like for an upper HP car that can maintain WS. I can imagine a tad shorter on the height, little less RO might help.
When i was talking to Mart, he agreed a lot of cars are over tired. First thing to go he stated a lot were the sidewalls even with the tire life of 50% remaining. Goodyear is on the aggressive upswing with R&D from what i gather.