DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bathroom Package Trailer, Vintage or Haulmark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom Package Trailer, Vintage or Haulmark
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I'm getting ready to buy a new bathroom package 34' tag trailer. I would really like to get a Vintage, but I don't seem to find them on the west coast. So, my 2nd choice is a Haulmark & they seem to be readably available out West. I would like to save the expense of picking up the trailer or having it delivered. The Vintage & Haulmark are about the same price wise. Is the Vintage worth the travel/delivery added expense? Of course now that I have the cash to buy, this virus hits. I'll wait until the world somewhat gets back to it's former normalcy before buying.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2487 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any thoughts on haulmark vs vintage, but we have a vintage and it’s been a nice trailer for us.

I’m thinking now/soon might not be a bad time to buy though. With everything going on trailers probably aren’t selling so there’s probably good deals to be found. Two family members bought brand new Chevy pickups in the past week, said the deals were great.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I bought a brand new Haulmark Elite 28' and it was a colossal POS. In all fairness, this was 20 years ago and they MAY be better today but the Elite was SUPPOSED to be the better model back then. The frame had to be repaired twice (once by them under warranty at 2 years & once by an independent shop at around 5 years), the brakes were over adjusted on one side and under adjusted on the other so it was all over the road for the first 1,000 miles when braking until on one side the brakes fell apart and I realized the issue, wiring issues mostly due to wire laying across sharp metal edges of beams, entire rows of flooring screws that missed the beam entirely, and too many fit & finish issues to even mention. Now I am well aware I did not buy a Gold Rush and don't expect that level of quality in an entry-level trailer but I was only hauling a dragster, golf cart and the usual racers tools & spares in a 28' trailer rated for much more weight - there is no reason welds on floor beams should be breaking and no excuse for electrical wires laying on sharp metal edges, etc. They were willing to fix the major issues as long as I didn't mind unloading the trailer completely, bringing it 5 hours away to their PA facility, dropping it off and coming back to pick it up a week or so later. I would never buy another Haulmark anything.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I bought a new cargo mate 48 ft gooseneck with the bathroom package a couple years ago. It is not a gold rush but for what it is and what I paid I feel it was a good value, no real problems at all.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I had bought the same 28 ft haulmark Elite 2 in 1997...in 4 years of use the trailer broke the frame in half behind the rear axle.

Paid good money for that trailer back then...POS! I hope they have got better.

I also bought a 50 foot gooseneck Vintage in 2007...broke uprights in the gooseneck within 6 months of use inside 15,000 miles. These trailers are not built for weekly use IMO back then and I cant say if the quality has improved or not since then.

If you travel 15 to e20,000 miles a year, year after year, I would look at a more expensive trailer...if you dont leave your region with regularity you will be fine with either brand IMO.

I have 127,000 miles on my current rig inside of 4 years and it seems we still do regular regular repairs to the trailer anyway. You name it its probably been welded on from tongue to trailer axle trailing arms to complete replacement axles...(Custom air ride axles too)!

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, so far. Not what I wanted to here, but I wanted feedback good or bad.

So, these particular trailers are running right around 31K. What brand/price range for the same basic set-up in OP to be an good upgrade.

I'm 57 years old, I'll mainly use the trailer in NV. & neighboring states. Would also like to plan for one trip a year to the mid-west or even the east coast.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2487 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I am seeing more and more of these big box trailers whether a goose neck and or a 5'r with an air ride system added to the neck or the pin box. Something to consider.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I am seeing more and more of these big box trailers whether a goose neck and or a 5'r with an air ride system added to the neck or the pin box. Something to consider.

Thanks, I've been looking into the shocker air receiver hitch.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Last season i had talked to a gentleman at the
divisional about the air setup he had on his 40
Goose neck. He stated he could not believe the difference in the ride with his air setup. He did have bags on his F450. Adding the air hitch was the frosting on the cake. Cushioning the integrity of the trailer. You can also look here to get some more ideas.

https://airsafehitches.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Last season i had talked to a gentleman at the
divisional about the air setup he had on his 40
Goose neck. He stated he could not believe the difference in the ride with his air setup. He did have bags on his F450. Adding the air hitch was the frosting on the cake. Cushioning the integrity of the trailer. You can also look here to get some more ideas.

https://airsafehitches.com/

Good stuff! Big difference in ride. Air ride suspension would be great too - costs?? Easier on the trailer and cars.
Dump the air and load/unload easily. Makes your step short too.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4465 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BKing, contact Jon Irvin in Boulder. He can help you with all the information you need about trailers.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post