DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Life span of a racing slick if kept out of sunlight.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life span of a racing slick if kept out of sunlight.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Joey Anderson
posted
I just purchased a car with a set of Goodyear slicks on the rear that look brand new. They have 7 passes on them. BUT, they are 14 years old. I sure hate to chunk them but I know that's what I need to do. Just hoping for the best I guess with them if someone has any advice.

Posts: 37 | Location: Glennville GA | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
prolly not what you want to hear but I would put a good set of tires on it. even if you could find some half used up from a buddy that is taking some off just to get some hits on the new ride. then get some new ones.

ep- 14 years old is no good no matter what they look like. my opinion only.

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Do you think the car is setup pretty well and ready to go? You might burn the pizz out of those old tire and do some 60' times to ball park the launch. Assuming they seem to hook well enough. Of course new is best and certainly wouldn't drive the old ones at any kind of speed. JMO

Also, sold a car similar to that not too long ago and the buyer put on new tires all around, both trailer and car. He's an over-the-road trucker so he knows the value of dependable tires.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Look closely because tires that old usually dry rot and the rubber cracks.

Not a good idea to race a car on tires that old...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Would you run 14 year old tires on your truck or trailer?

You know what to do...….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
^^^ Bender has the right answer.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":

You know what to do...….

we now know at least one dumbazz here would. Don't be a dumbazz like him.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":

You know what to do...….

we now know at least one dumbazz here would. Don't be a dumbazz like him.

Could be the reason for lol never mind i will let him say it .... P.S buy new tires

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Donate them to a track that can use them to prep the track.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to imagine the rubber has not lost its oil and no longer close to working as designed. Then you have the safety side.
I’d replace them, yep

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12161 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Considering Garlits went 230 mph on recaps 50 years ago, I'm waiting on Ed Estrogen to call Goodyear tire engineers, before I fully commit.

Laughing Hard

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Considering Garlits went 230 mph on recaps 50 years ago, I'm waiting on Ed Estrogen to call Goodyear tire engineers, before I fully commit.

Laughing Hard

Fact check that folks and you'll find it to be a huge crock of Chit.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course it is rich, he's a felon and this forum's biggest liar.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
50 years ago Garlits was in the front engine car that was cut in half by a clutch explosion.

He was on Goodyear’s and nobody was running fuel cars on anything but real race tires from Goodyear, M&H and probably Firestone.

A big tire back then was about 11 or 12 inches wide and were wrinkle wall soft sidewall slicks.

Tons of pictures of Garlits from that year because of that bad clutch explosion. He lost part of his foot and promptly built the first successful, winning rear engine car and it changed the sport. Within a short time front engine cars were history !

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just purchased a car with a set of Goodyear slicks on the rear that look brand new. They have 7 passes on them. BUT, they are 14 years old. I sure hate to chunk them but I know that's what I need to do.

14 yrs Shake head

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
of course it is rich, he's a felon and this forum's biggest liar.

Does this mean you don't appreciate my sarcasm Ed Estrogen? Laughing Hard

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

and Bracket Talk too!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Felon mikey

and Bracket Talk too!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Felon mikey, this forums biggest liar

and Bracket Talk too!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Felon mikey

You hear some people brag about not hiding behind a screen name. Wearing it as some kind of a badge of courage. But there are vengeful people with bad intent on the internet. I use to be of the no screen name school but have thought better of it over the years.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post