DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Checking stall of converter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checking stall of converter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
How does everyone check the converter stall safely ??
thanks jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Racepak

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Or a playback tach......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I always felt the most useful stall was the “fall back RPM” after the 1 -2 shift. I also think that stalling it in the pits against the trans brake was the most useless and unsafe. One of the two tests represents real conditions. Describing that to a converter supplier and their ability to deliver is critical.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjj:
How does everyone check the converter stall safely ??
thanks jjj

What brand? Spragless you can test it on the transmission brake.

Sprag converter you can as well, it's hard on the one way clutch though, so make it good to do it only once.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
I always felt the most useful stall was the “fall back RPM” after the 1 -2 shift. I also think that stalling it in the pits against the trans brake was the most useless and unsafe. One of the two tests represents real conditions. Describing that to a converter supplier and their ability to deliver is critical.

Agree on all points

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you want to check the stall, you remove the 2-step chip, put it in gear on the brake and then mat the pedal. I agree with others, not the best way.

Flash stall is maximum rpm at launch or fall back as another stated after 1-2 shift are better to use.

If you don’t have data acquisition or a playback tack, consider using a cell phone mount to record the tach during the run.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Nothing much more dangerous than matting it in the pits and should be avoided.

At the very least if you do it that way car needs to be on jack stands just to be safer

I routinely checked my "cruise rpm" for S/C and even when using a SLE but always had my car on jacks and was sitting in it.

I did have a recall tach after installing a large one and recorded most runs and could quickly replay the last run using it.

Adding a grid was a big plus as it recorded every run and the rpm graph was very good and more accurate than the tach.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Pulling the chip and checking stall usually shows 100-200 rpm less than the flash and fall back, unless the converter is setup for nitrous, then you can get one that will give you a false high reading. I will say this, a great starting point with a new converter, is to shift it 800 rpm above whatever the converter stalls without a chip.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Grid for me. I download my runs and overlay them to check for consistency. Best tool (price wise) out there to find a problem in my opinion.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Observed stall is often confused with stall.

These are all observed stall

6632 at hit and 6818 at shift

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Most know this but for the youngsters trying to soak up any knowledge to help their racing.

Stall is whatever you're told it is, when you're sold any given converter.

Observed stall is what any given converter stalls, once installed,,observeably. Stall is determined by power. This is why observed stall can also be used an onboard dyno.

+400 rpm's stall is 100hp. -400 rpm's of stall is -100hp.

It's not 100% accurate, but pretty accurate.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
IMO a data logger is the best (and safest) way to check converter stall. These systems are quite affordable these days and can be very beneficial to the users, a wise investment. Add a driveshaft sensor and you can then verify converter slippage at the stripe.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Data acquisition graphs can help a convertor company determine how best to build what you want. Very important when doing a re-stall of a new/ used convertor imho.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
IMO a data logger is the best (and safest) way to check converter stall. These systems are quite affordable these days and can be very beneficial to the users, a wise investment. Add a driveshaft sensor and you can then v erify converter slippage at the stripe.

Are DS sensors legal in all bracket classes? I just added an FT 600 to my FB/NOBOX car for data acquisition.

Posts: 394 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the information. jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are DS sensors legal in all bracket classes? .

Section 4A, page 7 Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman ELECTRICAL: 8

P. 82 of 2023 NHRA Rules Book PDF version

INSTRUMENTS

One tachometer allowed. Driveshaft sensor may be connected
to either the tachometer OR the data recorder, but not both.
Must be one single wire, with no splices, and easily traceable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:I just added an FT 600 to my FB/NOBOX car for data acquisition.

Excellent all in one ECU that puts everything at your fingertips. Very easy to move into EFI with this.
FT600

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
drop back is true stall

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Rusty 100% True Me too

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post