New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interior light
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What are you guy's using in your cars for interior lights. I saw some really small LED lights the other day that one of my friends has and was wondering what everyone was using.
This would be for a door car.

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Advance auto parts has a LED strip that comes in a two pack. You only need one white one, it will make it daylight in there. Thats what i use, pull the 3M tape and stuck it to the cross bar with a switch down on the panel. I put the other strip on the roof of my golf cart so i can see time tickets in staging lanes if needed.

https://shop.advanceautoparts....searchTerm=LED+Strip

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just installed the square led bed liners in various areas including the inside of my car. They are super bright and early to install. Installed two inside and 4 under the hood for night working on the car. Looks great and super bright.

Got 8 of them for 25 dollars. Just cut wires and separate as needed.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1440 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
There were no LED's when I put a light in my car. I used a NAPA interior light, has a pushbutton switch on it. I put one near the fuel cell too. I used an enclosed trailer ceiling light on another car I had. If I was doing it now I'd look on ebay for an LED light.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My car was built right after covered wagons, originally had a kerosene lamp but now has an old interior light I got out of a junker. Same light in the trunk to see the fuel cell....might up grade to LEDs.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Fern, working your way into LED lighting is going to make you think someone turned the high beams on.... now days so very cheap they will even fit in your budget.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 led strip with Velcro straps that wrap around the rollbar been there for 5 years works great, I think it was from amazon

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
I've got the same ones that ski mentioned, but the ones for a few bucks that I've seen walking around Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc that look like a light swich are BRIGHT. Looks like they have double sided tape for mounting also. My 3 year old granddaughter nearly blinded me with one while we were Christmas shopping lol. Maybe 50 watts dimmer than the sun!

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maxx Levell:
I've got the same ones that ski mentioned, but the ones for a few bucks that I've seen walking around Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc that look like a light swich are BRIGHT. Looks like they have double sided tape for mounting also. My 3 year old granddaughter nearly blinded me with one while we were Christmas shopping lol. Maybe 50 watts dimmer than the sun!

Harbor Freight has these and are quite often one of their free items. They also have ones that have a slider and are dimmable.

and YES...they are bright

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
If I was putting LEDs in my car. I would not use white ones. No need to mess up your night vision. I would use red or green. Ever see a police car sitting on the side of the road at night. Red light for interior light.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use a small amber rectangular incandescent side marker light that is mounted in a dome light position with double sided tape to the roof interior of my car. This offers enough light to see what I am doing in the car, but does not interfere with my night vision or on the starting line.

I wired mine to the toggle switch panel that will allow it to go on separately and stay on with the gauge/ exterior lights depending on the position the toggle switch is in.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
LOL Fern!
Good point on using red ones. Great idea.
Now if only the lights would activate cheater glasses. Not sure I can reach out far enough with my arm restraints anymore to read the ticket. In a few years I will be old enough to get away with asking the ticket booth youngster to read it for me. Big Grin

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's i will look for something other than white, I never thought about my night vision.

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradsc1954:
If I was putting LEDs in my car. I would not use white ones. No need to mess up your night vision. I would use red or green. Ever see a police car sitting on the side of the road at night. Red light for interior light.

I have a green strip in my boat, for night fishing. Don't use green. It'll blind you, speaking from experience. Takes my eyes about 10 minutes to readjust after having to re-tie a lure or whatever.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post