DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    backup button question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

backup button question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
I have a separate button wired to the tb.
If you have the anti lock the damn tires up when you accidentally hit the button feature enabled, every time you hit the button activates it. And you have to wait while the box cycles through.
I have a button mounted away from any accidental touching next to the 450.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea separate button easier in one way. That is till you see how limited space is and making easily reachable even tougher.Already have SLE,TB and bump down buttons. These little steering wheels don't have butt load of space. I like Markmarks suggestion. It also allows to switch between time or rpm with simple wire swapping.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I like the backup button not on the steering wheel. Makes it much easier to turn sharply while holding the button.

I have a tiny button on the back side of an exit handle. Nobody would know it was there if they weren't told.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3155 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea Lenny I could use the old line lock button off my first car(66 Nova) kind of part of old on my new toy thing. Not sure I could reach exit bars with straps hooked up,but maybe another location.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wide open you already have a good solution with Z Force. Push tb button once while in reverse and back up as usual. Next hit the reset button, not the tb button. This stops the reverse procedure without starting timers. You have to hit the tb button or the reset button so why not choose the reset button and save yourself extra wiring and relays and another button that you have to hold while backing up? Don’t make it harder than it has to be.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Good point David. Was looking at problem of one step and not obvious way to avoid the cause of that problem . Thanks

Thats why it helps to ask others. Most of the time the easy fix is hardest to see.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Chris, all my cars are done like David says...I have forgot to reset...it only takes one time to never forget...promise.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Butterfly wheel. Backup button on right side and 3 step on left side. Backup does not trigger timers. K&R box dead center of dash. Backup button is awkward when turning but not a big problem. Anytime I think I may have hit t/brake button accidentally I hit reset very quickly. Rarely happens. I routinely change throttle stop timer backing up from a burnout. Always watch a few pair in front of me when possible and it often pushes me to add or remove some numbers. Love my K&R and having it right in front of me. Bracket racing or S/C Racing, K&R box....Never had an issue with using an SLE for bracket racing. Trigger SLE before staging......When 4 lites are on put foot all the way down and used 3200-3400rpm, helps me pay attention....let go on top and SLE does its thing....hits 2 step but for next to nothing time wise.....That setup mimics Pro Tree racing for me and reduced brain fade at times switching from S/C to Brackets....

Pretty much never bracket race anymore....Just prefer S/C racing....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
One good thing about z force ,once I engage it it will stay engaged till second hit or reset is hit. Pretty sure as much as I hate the 2 step,a 3 step will never be on car. A thing of personal preference . K&R box is great,I just don't like being on 2 step if avoidable and feel that with little trial and error I could get set so if bumped it or never came on if the time was adjustable as most other box's are. Again a preference thing. I figure less buttons on wheel less chance driver f's up and crew chief cussing him out,I know how hard I am on me.LOL

Heck I wish nobody had 2 step,sle or auto shift and it was all driver. But when everyone else has it you are pretty much going to have to run to be on equal playing field. Since dragster are not allowed in foot brake and/or most no box races I have them.

Never ran SC did tune lil brothers car for few.Of coarse as soon as we started getting hanlde on how to work it he decided he wanted to do something else. How many FED's in SC?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
“How many FED in S/C....none after rd 1....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well with odd what 31 to 1 or what ever size of field is to one. Guess I will have to change that.LOL Don't worry by time I get this thing out you will probably be retired or tuning for great grand kids.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I am 70.....not retired....don't plan on ever retiring unless I am physically unable to work. Have to work to afford to live no less race.

S/C division races here Northeast NHRA Div1 are usually around 70-80 cars

Local group(this weekend 20-40) and I can't think of one FED racing either series.

Door cars are scarce....

Racing is stupid close.....

Brackets same thing.....

Thousandths and ten thousandths decide races pretty often....and all 1/4 mile....

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I installed an old red mushroom button top left on the dash.
It is from 12V direct to TB terminal.
It's out of the way, and leaves the wheel for backing up.
Also what not many realize, it can be used as an emergency for braking as it is always HOT.
With all the horror stories about backing and SLEs, having a separate button is just a great thing to have.
Of course this is my opinion, it's free.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post