DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Curious about wings on dragsters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curious about wings on dragsters
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted
I was watching the race from Virginia right now, and it got me wondering. Our daughter likes how dragsters look with wings. We don't have one now, but the car has the tabs for one.

What I am wondering, about how much performance will a mid 7's car lose (ET and MPH) and does it change how they feel at speed?

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'd say it depends on the combination and the wing design. I had a spitzer with a mono wing that picked up .02-.03 without the wing. It seemed a little tighter on the top end in the quarter with the wing. This was on a slip joint chassis no suspension.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
.02 - .03 ok, that is not much of a loss at all. For some reason I was thinking it might be more. Our car is an S&W so has the tabs for the four strut style mount. I saw they have a 36 a and 48 inch height and width option

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I had a tall Mono wing that broke off in the lights at 228mph and I didnt even know it happened. If you set it up neutral or 1* of downforce I bet you don't even notice it et wise

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Not apples to apples here but on my old altered the car would feel "loose" at the top end. I put a wing on it and faster it went smoother it got. Huge improvement. I do not know about any ET difference it was not much.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They’re great to smack your head on.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5305 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:

Lol, I thought about putting little stick men stickers on wing for each one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL .. yes, I have seen that! But our daughter loves them Big Grin

thanks everyone for the input Smile

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
agree with these guys. In my case my old hard tail didn't loose much at all with the wing on, always seemed smoother with it though....and I and ran my head into it constantly.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
my wing is heavy and when running 1/8 only i had a lot of angle in it.i gained .05 when i took it off.it is back on now but not as much angle,dont know what i am giving up but it is a must

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
so it looks like a wing it is Smile She will be happy about that. To avoid running around the staging lanes with a tape measure, what do you all have for heights and widths? S&W sells 36' and 48' for both width and height.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i would use the minimum square inches and high enough to be above the cage but not stick up and look out of place

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't think you saw me do that!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When Bighead had his Worthy dragster he had a set of carbon canards on the front of it. I thought they were the coolest thing ever and I was having Worthy build me a car and I REALLY wanted some. He said I’ve tripped over those sum*****es a hundred times, don’t waste your money.

I love the rear wings especially the mono wings but at 6’4” I hit my head enough as it is!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5305 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
JR at powerchassis racecars has mono wings in fiberglass and carbon for sale give him a call

Posts: 2 | Location: home | Registered: December 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My wife’s car has the small Miller mono wing. We backed to backed it and it didn’t go any faster without the wing. She says it’s more stable on the top end with it though. Low 7.50s at 176.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I had a tall Mono wing that broke off in the lights at 228mph and I didnt even know it happened. If you set it up neutral or 1* of downforce I bet you don't even notice it et wise

no offense Steve but what you had wasn't a wing. It was a piece of fiberglass built to satisfy the rules makers. A real wing helps tremendously ( or hurts depending on your application ) Going 4.40's in the 1/8 I noticed a difference with or without it when I first got mine. The car just feels more stable and squats down near the finish line. 1/4 I wouldn't run without one now.

The OP car being a 4.70 car will probably not help or hurt it much at all, maybe .02 slower with the wing. Just a looks thing.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

no offense Steve but what you had wasn't a wing. It was a piece of fiberglass built to satisfy the rules makers. .

For what its worth it was carbon fiber and I could adjust about 5* downforce in it but no offence taken. If you saw it you have to admit The video of it going about 100 ft in the air was pretty cool Eek

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post