DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LED backup lights on a trailer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED backup lights on a trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted
Went to leave the house the other night and found out it would be nice to have some reverse lights on my trailer. What has everyone used?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The last 4 or 5 trailers I put a 22/24 inch LED light bar from EBAY above the rear door . Also works good for a rear work light if you run a power wire to a single pole double throw switch.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I'm getting an enclosed trailer sometime, and I think I'll install some sort of backup camera on that.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sorry this is going off the rails now, but I'm sure some of you have seen the surround camera deal that some of the OEM's offer. My mother has a BMW with it. It can actually give you an aerial view showing exactly how close you are all the way around the vehicle. How it does it I'm not entirely sure. But there are multiple cameras involved. How nice would that be on a trailer setup, particularly on a motorhome where it is tough to see anything?!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 work lights on the back of my trailer above the door that are back up lamps. I want to change them to an LED light bar and have it wired so I can turn it on with a switch in the trailer. On one of the forums someone had installed LED lights under the trailer for backup lights. They were mounted behind the wheels and angled out slightly.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Eman, I was thinking about doing some behind the wheels and maybe some small ones under the back door like these https://www.princessauto.com/e...ot-light/A-p8816159e . Just looking to see what others are using.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Under the back door might be a problem if you go up a steep driveway. My trailer has 16" wheels and sits pretty high and I've drug it going up a steep driveway.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of PineApple Express Racing
posted Hide Post
I did the same thinking . I am in the tail end of a complete remodel of my trailer.One of the things I added LED lights on the side of my trailer. I also redid my entire trailer plug into the back of my truck. I added a new wire that went to the reverse light power from the truck. The 7 pin connector has a pin out for the reverse lights. So I have 3 dedicated lights for loading as well as reverse lights. I have all lights on wall switches in my trailer. But I have relays that power my LED lights when I put the truck in reverse. I have a link to some photos after my install. The lights were from JEGS and are no longer available. Here is the link, https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4ZtRBK7V7hqXULi9
You can see there is about 1 foot on each side of my trailer next to my home. I do not have any manual control of the lights when I am driving. The 3 lights are 1 on passenger, 1 on the drivers side and 1 above the back ramp door.

Good Luck
Chuck
PAE

Posts: 113 | Location: Las Vegas USA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post