DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Garage floor coating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage floor coating
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just built a 40x60 in January and would like to coat the concrete floor while concrete still looks new. I will park motorhome, boat and race car inside, will not be a high traffic area, basically used for storage. I have been lookin at the UCOATIT brand coatings, is there another option or brand anyone has used with good success....thx

Posts: 24 | Location: Peterman, AL | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Just use concrete sealer.

Epoxy chips when something falls on it....sparks burn holes in it...long term parking will leave tire marks in the finish...the first thing that happens to it is like getting your car's first chip or scratch.

Oh yea...when wet it is slicker than snot even with the sand in it.

Do you work in the shop or use it as a showroom?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1217 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree with Hotrod Corvette.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Look up Original Color Chips. Get their coating color you want and chips if you choose, then put 2-3 coats of their industrial clear. I did a trailer 10 years ago and the guy who has that trailer said it still looks good. They will guarantee the industrial clear won't stain with any oil etc.
https://www.originalcolorchips.com/

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just use epoxy coating for your floors, it is easy to maintain and it is durable.

Posts: 1 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: March 25, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I considered epoxy when I built my shop. I worked in a good sized factory that had epoxy floor and it kinda cured me of them.

1. They are beautiful.
2. They are expensive
3. They will get damaged, and then you have a delima. They can be repaired, and they never look right IMO when repaired.
4. Welding sparks will burn it. So you need to tarp when you weld.
5. Jacks rolling will leave marks. Jack stands need protection under them. Hot tires will leave marks. If you drop something significant, it may leave a mark too. We needed to have annual repairs done everywhere.
6. I'm just not that trustworthy to keep something that I work on top of protected. And it would break my heart to spend that money and have it jacked up.
7. They clean up super nice. Sweeping dirt up is a breeze.
8. Some chemicals and oils, brake fluid will stain them badly if you don't notice right away and clean it up.

I did a penetrating sealer and called it a day. It's better than nothing at all. There are clears that sit on top, and honestly I would consider some of those. They are easier to touch up and have look decent. And they clean up nicely as well. Poly something.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
If you did not put a vapor barrier under the slab then forget about coating it. Penetrating sealer would be all I would do.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Industrial epoxy is available from Benjamin Moore. It is very good and relatively cheap. Not hard at all to DIY, but a respirator is a must. Any color you want. It is much better than the home improvement store versions. Roll it on. 1 coat covers.

I like the painted with years of patina better than bare concrete. Leave out the color chips as finding dropped parts is a nightmare.

Yes, it will scratch, chip, burn, etc. Oil, grease, gas, etc wipes right off.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post