DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Billet Intake Manifolds
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Billet Intake Manifolds
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Im building a 632,MBE Big9 with Billet Intake for my Chevelle 66 Wagon.

Posts: 18 | Location: sweden | Registered: May 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you won't be happy with performance for the $ you're spending. Same performance can be had for much less $ without those heads and that intake at that cubic inch. Also the manifold has NO provisions for water.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
He said $3700 how did you get to $6500? Billet is a CNC machine carving that from a block of aluminum with little labor.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it was stated here back on page 1 that the APD manifold is $6500. I stated the MBE was $5000 last year.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
IIRC Joe told me Boo's car was 1910 going down the track.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
then I'm impressed

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you won't be happy with performance for the $ you're spending. Same performance can be had for much less $ without those heads and that intake at that cubic inch. Also the manifold has NO provisions for water.

The manifold itself doesn't, no. But the rails that mate to the valley tray do. When you get one of Matt's intakes, it includes the intake, rails, and tray....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mathias:
Im building a 632,MBE Big9 with Billet Intake for my Chevelle 66 Wagon.

I got the same deal, except with the sheet metal tunnel ram with billet runners. Going on an alky injected 665" with nitrous. Matt has a couple of 632's near him running damned fast with this stuff.

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
not his, needed to weld/fabricate the entire setup and the 632 with his top end is a slug especially for the $ it cost. The dragster does weigh north of 2000 lbs. Top38 has seen it too and will agree. These heads, that manifold needs more cubes, 655 at a minimum and rpm.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like his hp peak was around 7300 rpm. Not 8000+. I'd shift that at 7400-7500 and let it eat out the back door.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
7300 peak HP want to be shift at 7900 at a minimum for optimum performance and geared so it's buzzing even higher at the stripe.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've always shifted about 100-200 rpm past peak hp...works for me. Car would fall of if I drug it out further....We'll see what the new stuff wants once it's together, and I'll shift where it likes it the best...could care less what the rpm is....

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is impressive but other than what's stated, I know nothing about it. would like to know the weight going down track.

Looks like he's shifting at 7500, 200rpm past peak. In the 1/8th, that would put him about the same rpm at the stripe, 7400-7500ish...possibly a little lower depending on his converter slippage....not buzzing it at all....very reasonable rpm...and a 4.11 gear with big bubbas....

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Most <632 CI bracket combinations don’t utilize enough cam lift and RPM to REALLY take advantage of a lot of the bigger spread port heads.

If you want to shift at 7500-7800 RPM you are better off with a SR20 type head.

There is power in a properly sized billet 1x4 intake if you are self imposing a single 4 arrangement and willing to maximize the combo. A sheetmetal intake and 2x4 was cheaper and generally makes more power yet. If properly designed.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
this is impressive but other than what's stated, I know nothing about it. would like to know the weight going down track.

Looks like he's shifting at 7500, 200rpm past peak. In the 1/8th, that would put him about the same rpm at the stripe, 7400-7500ish...possibly a little lower depending on his converter slippage....not buzzing it at all....very reasonable rpm...and a 4.11 gear with big bubbas....

None of the norms apply for this car. It damn sure hasn't a 1.80 low gear in it.

HP isn't falling off much either after peak hp, ringing it out wouldn't be detrimental. Not saying that is most likely even happening, but just bringing that to your attention.

It's getting time when people start talking in terms of starting line ratio's, rather than final ratio's.

7.31 or 7.39? If it's 7.39 it has a dump.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
None of the norms apply for this car. It damn sure hasn't a 1.80 low gear in it.

HP isn't falling off much either after peak hp, ringing it out wouldn't be detrimental. Not saying that is most likely even happening, but just bringing that to your attention.

It's getting time when people start talking in terms of starting line ratio's, rather than final ratio's.

I wouldn't be so sure about that....I've seen the same rpm range on cars here that can run that fast on the mountain running 1.80 low, 4.11 rear gear with the same tires.....And the car in the pic is leaving at a fairly low rpm....it's possible that he's running a taller low gear, but I doubt it.....

He could run it out, but I doubt it would change his shift points at all...I'd like to know where the shift is taking place, and how soon after the launch. That will tell a lot about the setup...

Mark Goulette

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is impressive

Really? It's a 655! There are 615's going 4.2x

I'd be interested in the weight of the cnc manifolds. My Brodix 20 degree are 25 lbs.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

I wouldn't be so sure about that....I've seen the same rpm range on cars here that can run that fast on the mountain running 1.80 low, 4.11 rear gear with the same tires.....And the car in the pic is leaving at a fairly low rpm....it's possible that he's running a taller low gear, but I doubt it.....

He could run it out, but I doubt it would change his shift points at all...I'd like to know where the shift is taking place, and how soon after the launch. That will tell a lot about the setup...

It's interesting.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
quote:
this is impressive

yes, really and I'd like to see these 615's that run 20s.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
quote:
this is impressive

yes, really and I'd like to see these 615's that run 20s.

If they do it’s at 17XX pounds with driver most likely

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post