DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fastest converter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fastest converter
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
not looking for a bracket race converter

not looking for a consistent converter

not looking for a converter that's killer for reaction times..

Im interested in someone who can build the fastest converter possible for qualifying.
someone who can analyze the power your going to throw at it and build something to take full advantage of everything you got without making it just blow the tires off.
can this be done? and oh ya someone who can help you tune the thing after you have some runs and data on it...someone who is helpful/?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
pick your favorite converter builder who can build you a bolt together.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
not looking for a bracket race converter

not looking for a consistent converter

not looking for a converter that's killer for reaction times..

Im interested in someone who can build the fastest converter possible for qualifying.
someone who can analyze the power your going to throw at it and build something to take full advantage of everything you got without making it just blow the tires off.
can this be done? and oh ya someone who can help you tune the thing after you have some runs and data on it...someone who is helpful/?

If it's a supercharger, it's PTC. Then you just need someone who can read the data, adjust to get it up to speed.

You can race with it too.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
pick your favorite converter builder who can build you a bolt together.

wish it was that simple ed...you need someone who can take the time to review data and make the proper stator recommendation if needed...dosent seem to be that concern out there after the sale

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Coan

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coan

they where horrible to deal with...never ever spend a dime there

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Fastest, in our sport is highest speed. Quickest is lower ET. They don’t necessarily work together on a race converter build. Also how well it hooks (locks up) up on the top end is important to most.
I tried most brands and my Coan w/ sprag was the best speed and decent ET. It also locked up to 1% in the 1/4 mile.
If you talk to Jason Coan with an attitude, you’ll get one back. They have a solid customer base for a good reason.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I have found when dealing with customers on their car's and the converter the biggest issue seem to be just like a computer,meaning bad info in you get bad info out. Most of the time they don't give the proper info to the converter company or exaggerate about their power level or torque. Several have the wrong info on peak horsepower rpm along with peak torque rpm. All of this is important for getting the optimum converter.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Michael, the converter that you seek happens by trial and error with hard work and $ leading the way. Any of the big name torque converter companies can get you pointed in the right direction but your effort and perseverance only will get you the piece that you want. I'd be speaking to the fast and quick guys in the class with similar combos.

Just and FYI example, I've got 3 converters and 3 carbs for each engine/car that I plan to test with before the first event this season.

this guy talks converters and knows how to be fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...NHU&feature=emb_logo

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Michael, the converter that you seek happens by trial and error with hard work and $ leading the way. Any of the big name torque converter companies can get you pointed in the right direction but your effort and perseverance only will get you the piece that you want. I'd be speaking to the fast and quick guys in the class with similar combos.

Just and FYI example, I've got 3 converters and 3 carbs for each engine/car that I plan to test with before the first event this season.

this guy talks converters and knows how to be fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...NHU&feature=emb_logo

Mikey,

Ed is correct, there is no one out there that can do what you ask without you in the equation! SO you need to step it up also and the converter is only one piece to the puzzle!

If your goal is to go as fast as possible with what you got, then I would say your gonna need new shocks, like the electric Koni's that lock up and are controlled on a timer so you can use a properly built wheelie bar to help tune the chassis and achieve the wheel speed you need and when you need it! Just like with a motor combo, when you change one thing like a cam then the headers aren't right, same deal with the chassis and converter, and that's not even getting into changing weather/track conditions. If your blowing the tires off on a regular basis, you obviously have issues but it may be something else besides the converter!

Assuming your still talking TD, it would be easier to build more power so you can leave easy and still run 6.10! It is not easy to go fast and it takes more than the right parts to do so!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 3 bolt togethers, one is more consistent then the others but has less speed and et, the other 2 are very close in et, and both have been over 233 mph and they are different with the stator configuration. So there are a couple companies out there who can help you for sure on analyzing data, I’m not good at it for sure.

I switched to efi and will have to back up and start over on my converter setup to see what works best, but I can say that the fast converter from before was very consistent in my only race this year...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Michael, if I was racing TD, I'd definitely would look for advice from J.R. and his dad Rusty, two bad asses in TD and nice guys too.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
#1 and #2 in points last year in PDRA Elite T/D, consistently the quickest T/D fields anywhere both run an FTI XPM bolt together converter......JS Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael, if I was racing TD, I'd definitely would look for advice from J.R. and his dad Rusty, two bad asses in TD and nice guys too.

yes they are and rusty beat me first round at indy last year..great people

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming your still talking TD, it would be easier to build more power so you can leave easy and still run 6.10! It is not easy to go fast and it takes more than the right parts to do

al that's what im doing...ive got plenty of power I can add and the converter is a huge part of the equation...that's the piece of the puzzle im working on now
electric shocks,wheelie bar geometry...your making something simple very complicated and expensive!!!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Assuming your still talking TD, it would be easier to build more power so you can leave easy and still run 6.10! It is not easy to go fast and it takes more than the right parts to do

al that's what im doing...ive got plenty of power I can add and the converter is a huge part of the equation...that's the piece of the puzzle im working on now
electric shocks,wheelie bar geometry...your making something simple very complicated and expensive!!!

Mike

A wheelie bar is not expensive! With a dragster, suspended one, I am not sure you can consistently tune with the wheelie bar. Have you ever seen a TAD car with shocks?

So the real question is, why are you blowing the tires off? Two much stick at the hit which kills the tires and boom, up in smoke, or is your combo just too aggressive and doesn't have a change? I will guess your taking timing out at the hit which tends to stick the tires. Too go fast as possible like you stated, it's about the wheel speed and the accel graphs. And ya, in your case the converter certainly has influence on both! Fast as possible is usually not as consistent as possible. Pick your poison.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the real question is, why are you blowing the tires off? Two much stick at the hit which kills the tires and boom, up in smoke, or is your combo just too aggressive and doesn't have a change? I will

top38...your loosing me brother!!
if you look at this final qualifier from a few weeks ago,i don't see an untuned car that needs electric shocks...that's a 10-71 running against hemis,pro chargers and 14-71.the only piece of the puzzle that's want right is the converter...way tight on the bottom...way too loose up top.very consistent but not fast enough.car hooks beautiful and runs down track like a caddy

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

yes they are and rusty beat me first round at indy last year..great people
I'm still not sure why i couldn't get you to go over to J.R.'s trailer with me to meet Ed. Just kidding.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have seen Mikes graphs and he definitely needs a converter change, like he said, tight down low and thru the shift and loose on top. Polar opposite of what you want with a TD

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Mike I'm going to guess that you have the shortest car in the top half of the field. In my eyes that has a lot to do with the power you can put down compared to the guys with 40" extra of chassis.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post