DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fastest converter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fastest converter
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen Mikes graphs and he definitely needs a converter change, like he said, tight down low and thru the shift and loose on top. Polar opposite of what you want with a TD

big steve is real sharp and knows his stuff

ken mine a 245 but she solid on the hit

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 369dragster:
Mike I'm going to guess that you have the shortest car in the top half of the field. In my eyes that has a lot to do with the power you can put down compared to the guys with 40" extra of chassis.

Not sure how long Mike's car is but mine is 248 with shocks and proves you don't need to have a 270 inch carbon Spitzer to go fast. It will run well into the 5.9x range if I let it. Conventional head Chevy to. I believe both JR and Rusty Baxters cars are about the same length and just as fast

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
I have seen Mikes graphs and he definitely needs a converter change, like he said, tight down low and thru the shift and loose on top. Polar opposite of what you want with a TD

big steve is real sharp and knows his stuff

Thats because I stay at the Holiday inn Express and run a Abruzzi converter

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
So the real question is, why are you blowing the tires off? Two much stick at the hit which kills the tires and boom, up in smoke, or is your combo just too aggressive and doesn't have a change? I will

top38...your loosing me brother!!
if you look at this final qualifier from a few weeks ago,i don't see an untuned car that needs electric shocks...that's a 10-71 running against hemis,pro chargers and 14-71.the only piece of the puzzle that's want right is the converter...way tight on the bottom...way too loose up top.very consistent but not fast enough.car hooks beautiful and runs down track like a caddy

If it hooks nice and you got more power and don't want to spend more cash, turn it up..

I thought you stated your were blowing the tires off...

You said u wanted to go as fast as possible which is now not the case. Make your mind up.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have tried a lot of different converters in my TD deal - I think 9 different converters/setups. Maybe that's what Top38 is talking about needing to get involved Roll Eyes

JR got me talking to Coan a few years ago and then I learned Eddie Select was a Coan dealer and got a Coan thru him. Haven't changed converters/stators since. Both are very knowledgeable.

Another plus for Coan/Eddie they are very astute in reading a Racepak graph.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I have had coan and fti build several and adjust several over the years . Furnished dyno sheets and the whole nine yards of data on the first builds . After sending back and having adjusted or buying another I never saw discernable difference in any changes . Both manufacturers were consistent but not fast as I thought they should be , not bad just matter of fact not as quick as they should be . My next ones will be bought somewhere else and I will see if there if they are any different .....lol.....

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both manufacturers were consistent but not fast as I thought they should be , not bad just matter of fact not as quick as they should be .

exactly what im talking about

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Funny!!! Laughing Hard

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I'd say most top tier builders can provide this although most have their specialty when it comes to engine combinations.

That being said, most racers and a lot of engine builders "can't" provide the correct power numbers. This most certainly effects how the converter works. For some reason, most think they have more power than they actually do.

SL...

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
You hit the nail on the head Scott.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The variables torque converter companies can't control are the input shaft, stator tube and line pressures in play.

Until optimum is discovered, it's an erratic claim to say x converter isn't fast in comparison to y converter.

If you know what you can get away with as far as line pressure goes, your leaps and bounds ahead on a baseline. The less, the better.

I know one that's pretty fast with way to much pressure. Work on that and it would be a little quicker faster.

There's also adjustment to be had in flow.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd have two transmissions. One for the fast qualifying session, I'd freshen in between for the final rd. If it were heads up first to the finish line racing.