DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Public Service Annoucement - Trans brake lockout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public Service Annoucement - Trans brake lockout
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I watched another car get torn up this weekend and it appeared to me that the transbrake was re applied after launch. In an effort to prevent similar accidents in the future I thought I would make this post to encourage everyone to check your delay box and make sure the lockout is set. I have the lockout in my cars set to three seconds when in bracket race mode since we shift on time and are in high gear before then.

All of the major delay boxes have settings to prevent the transbrake from being re applied for a certain number of seconds after launch so here are links to how to do it for some of the boxes:

Digital Delay calls this "Push button interrupt time." Here is a link to Mega 450 instructions, setting the push button interrupt time is on page 7.

K&R calls this "Transbrake Lockout Timer." Here is a link to Pro Cube directions, setting the Transbrake Lockout Timer is on page 5.

Dedenbear calls this "TB LOCK OUT." Here is a link to Dedenbear CC3 instructions, setting the TB lock out is on page 4.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ All of this and more can be accomplished “better” with MSD 7730 Grid to include running No Box.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mark, I just looked up your post with directions here.

Personally I think this is over complicated if the car already has a delay box. The reset procedure is simple, hit reset on pro cube or clear on mega box. But with the 3 seconds I run in the box I’ve never even had to use the reset.

I can’t get people to read the darn manual for their delay box, I doubt they’re going to figure out a relay. And, you’re running the trans brake button through an additional external relay which will create some delay of its own, and I’d be worried about the relay introducing inconsistency.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Okay what about cars where Delay box or Grid is NOT allowed?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4000 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

I’d have the trans brake button mounted somewhere that would be really hard to hit accidentally. Having a big mushroom button on the left or right side of the steering wheel is easy to catch with the “cheek” of your thumb if you get crossed up and need to steer.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:

I’d have the trans brake button mounted somewhere that would be really hard to hit accidentally. Having a big mushroom button on the left or right side of the steering wheel is easy to catch with the “cheek” of your thumb if you get crossed up and need to steer.

I do have it where I can not accidentally hit it but it is a Just in Time button and concerned that maybe if I came down hard from a wheelie it may engage.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4000 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
By the way don't f---up and reset the lockout time thinking its a timer you don't want. Believe me I know the results.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is there a major sanctioning body or class that does not allow the Grid? I don’t have one but I’ve never heard that.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here’s how you can run a TB Lock Out with an analog ignition.

If you have a 7al3 you will use the RAS feature. For all other analog ignitions (and digital without a RAS feature) you will need a RPM Activated Switch. Wire the Negative Output from the RAS to Terminal # 85 on the relay wiring instructions from the https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0760912/m/4147030286 that 183N posted.

Install a RPM chip in the RAS that is approximately 500 rpm greater than your launch rpm. Every time you exceed that RAS rpm the relay will be activated and you will no longer have any +12v at the TB button.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I was in that situation I'd use two buttons wired in series to engage the TB.

With that being said we have two cars with high gear transbrakes. In both cars we always use the SLE. I use the 12v from my SLE/SFO to activate a relay that sends a ground (digital delay box) to my button. With a K&R you can skip the relay as the buttons use 12v iirc.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I use the K&R & mine is set to 5 sec.

quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I watched another car get torn up this weekend and it appeared to me that the transbrake was re applied after launch. In an effort to prevent similar accidents in the future I thought I would make this post to encourage everyone to check your delay box and make sure the lockout is set. I have the lockout in my cars set to three seconds when in bracket race mode since we shift on time and are in high gear before then.

All of the major delay boxes have settings to prevent the transbrake from being re applied for a certain number of seconds after launch so here are links to how to do it for some of the boxes:

Digital Delay calls this "Push button interrupt time." Here is a link to Mega 450 instructions, setting the push button interrupt time is on page 7.

K&R calls this "Transbrake Lockout Timer." Here is a link to Pro Cube directions, setting the Transbrake Lockout Timer is on page 5.

Dedenbear calls this "TB LOCK OUT." Here is a link to Dedenbear CC3 instructions, setting the TB lock out is on page 4.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have K&R and now set for 20 seconds or so . Hey last time cost me 400 bucks for two nice burn outs.Funny thing .I have spent more.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post