Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Axle housing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axle housing question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 9" ford rearend and the axles I am not sure who built them or if they were machined to fit this housing but when I took it apart I noticed that they had used a bearing retainer 1/8" thickness cut out to slip over the rear wheel bearing up against the housing end of the rearend behind the wilwood bearing retainer , what would this mean , the axle needed to be moved out that extra ???Was gonna order new axle but not sure why that extra 1/8" plate was there.

Posts: 358 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
My .02 would be 2 possible reasons.....

They used a different style housing end than the disc brake kit was made for so the "standout" dimension was incorrect. Does the Wilwood retainer plate look like it has been redrilled to a different bolt pattern?

The axles were incorrect length and the splines bottomed out inside the carrier.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 3222 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Lamb,Mark Williams,Strange and Areo space component rear brakes for a 9 inch and they all have the caliper mounting/ bearing retainer milled out to set over the axle bearing.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
XPS fan, the brake caliper retaining plate appears to be normal , no other bolt holes drilled for another position,was thinking when they did this set up that the axles might have been too long.and had to shim it out to get distance between axles, the housing is 35" from housing flange to housing flange.this is the housing flange , big ford old style.or does the old style ends take a tapered bearing???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JCDRAGS,

Posts: 358 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
Old style big Ford takes the normal 3.150 bearing, bolts would be 1/2" dia (different from new style), bolt centers being 3.5" wide and 2.375 tall. Are there any numbers on the caliper mounting bracket?

Whatever reason they added the 1/8" spacer, it would mess up the caliper to disc alignment. Were there any thick shims between the caliper and the mounting plate? A few thin shims
(.030"") would be normal for alignment.

Posts: 3222 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I think he is just saying that the caliper brackets have a step cut into them that slides over the axle bearing.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
I think he is just saying that the caliper brackets have a step cut into them that slides over the axle bearing.

I thought he had that (as we all do) plus an 1/8" spacer plate........maybe I misunderstood.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
XPS fan , yes they cut out a stock bearing retainer to fit over the bearing to space the axle out that 1/8" more,being the housing is 35" and the bearing grooves are for a 3/4" wide bearing the bearing sits out of the housing end by that 1/8".but if i put the axles together and measure from outside of axle bearing to outside of other axle bearing I am at 34" I think the axles may almost be hitting each other. the reason they added the spacers. there are also groove marks about 1/2" in length past the axle splines on the passenger axle.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought..........clean the splines real good, put some grease on them, assemble and remove. You'll be able to see how far the spline is engaged.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
XPS fan, as far as shims there were two on the passenger side caliper, the drivers side was centered on the rotor but no shims.Gonna grease them up later and will let you know.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that the axles were to long for this rear end, they were machined back in the late 80's and I was told they were mosers, moser said they were around in the 90's so I doubt they are moser. but 35 spline for that time was a little strange , my friends all had 33 splines. put the axles together and measured 34 1/4" from end of axle bearing to end of other axle bearing.thinking I need new axles .[IMG:right] [/IMG] [/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JCDRAGS,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
[IMG:right] [/IMG]

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
[IMG:right] [/IMG] This pic is of the passenger side axle alos has some indentations in the axle after the splines, both axles went in about 2" of splines using the grease test.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
First, I 100% think you should buy new axles.

That said, it's a normal practice for economic reasons for axles to be made with too much spline (except Mark Williams who makes every axle correct for application). If you think they are too long (touching in the center) you can check that with a piece of clay. If they are you've got plenty of spline and could cut some off the axle yourself.

As far as your 1/8" spacer with the 3.150" hole in it, it can't change the axle to axle width. The only thing that stops the axle from going in is the bearing stopping on the register machined in the housing end. No spacer like that or caliper mount can change it.

DRR All Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
I 100% think you should buy new axles.

end of discussion!

Posts: 9179 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
My original Ford 9" rear I had a long time ago had a thin spacer like that. Never had a problem with it, not sure why it came with the rear, I bought the entire rear assembled ready to bolt in from Currie.

Posts: 1699 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tom Reyer
posted Hide Post
How would the spacer between the caliper bracket and housing end move the axle out 1/8"? Wouldn't the spacer need to be between the bearing face and bearing, moving the bearing in 1/8"? (pushing the axle out 1/8")

I'm confused.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 619 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post