DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire recommendation
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted
I have a new to me tube chassis car, 2300sh pounds with driver. BBC makes about 770 HP 4.10 Gear 16x16 rear tire without bead locks. Converter stalled at 5600 in old heaver car 1.80 powerglide.

Race in the north, get temps down in 40s and into the 90s in summer 100 would be an exceptionally warm day.

Plan is to be underpowered and over tired.

I know Hoosier vs MT has been beat to death, more interested in specific tires of each brand. Space for tire is not an issue.

Dale

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Oh BOY! Get yer popcorn out!!!

Posts: 18 | Location: PENNA. | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
With the 16x16 wheels you are limited in tire choice. You are gonna get opinions ranging from X brand is best no matter what.... to you have the wrong size wheels.

Since you already have the wheels I'd pick one of the 33x16 tires for that wheel size from whatever brand you want and have fun. And while your at it put some more gear in it.

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
M/T 3183 would be my first choice!

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
What does the car have Dale? If you want to try them, i have a set of 15x15's with 33x15 D07 Hoosiers. 4-3/4 BC, 4-1/2 BS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom H,

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
M/T 3183

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Hoosier #18600 33.5/16.0-15* 106.0˝ C07 39 lbs.

quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by 7959:
My 3183's blistered after 110 runs...

There's a lot of that going around

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
same old empties

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
No 770hp 2300lbs car is going to blister any tire and if YOU try to mount the tire you suggested on his wheels I'll pay to watch.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom H:
What does the car have Dale? If you want to try them, i have a set of 15x15's with 33x15 D07 Hoosiers. 4-3/4 BC, 4-1/2 BS.

Thanks Tom, I will check the BS and let you know.

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
In reference to your question about temperature the MT tires have been Much more consistent through a wider range of temperature for me.
The Hoosier tires on my car in cold weather would work normal until it got cold enough then they did not hook at all. Little or no in between. Plus the MT tires have never gave me any issues up to about 15* colder than the Hoosiers would hook with same car and set up.
I do not run the size you are looking for but I believe the MT compounds are better right now and able to handle a much wider temperature range. I run the 3074 and what ever compound it is works really well.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3976 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
Hoosier 33.5X17x16 C06 compound. Prob a little big for your combo, but it's a proven tire on door cars.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and dragsters

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post