DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Belt drive pump /alcohol & rear cell fuel line size ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt drive pump /alcohol & rear cell fuel line size ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
New build with an Aeromotive belt drive pump and rear mounted fuel cell. What size fuel line you guys running ?? Will be about 15' of line. 750hp ish W/return, 1/4 mile. Was told -12 to and from, man that's huge !!!

Thanks !!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
5.50's 1/8 mile

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I used 5/8 and 1/2 on my other car. 9.20's @ 2850#

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree that’s big. My experience has been the return needs to be as big or bigger than the feed for the pressure to be regulated correctly.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
-10 supply and return works fine for me.

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Was told it has something to do with how much fuel this pump moves and a vacuum / vaporizing fuel effect and if the return wasn't as big, it could lead to pressure spikes while on and off the gas Roll Eyes

I guess another question would be ......... Could -12 be too big ???

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a small fuel cell with enough capacity to make it down the track and back to your pit, in the front of the car. That way in the event of a fire there's not a lot of fuel left to burn. I can't imagine any other way of doing it, my suggestion every time this topic arises.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put a small fuel cell with enough capacity to make it down the track and back to your pit, in the front of the car. That way in the event of a fire there's not a lot of fuel left to burn. I can't imagine any other way of doing it, my suggestion every time this topic arises.

Not much room in the front for a cell, It's a BB S-10. I have quite a few friends with rear cell's and belt pumps so I have no doubt it be done successfully. Just questioning the theory and line size required. I'm starting from scratch, so aside from a few bucks more for -12 over -10, now's the time to do it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd locate the best made in USA hose and fittings. Do it once..... off the trailer.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
-10 on two cars with belt pumps. One car is 700ish hp

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have usually been able to custom build tanks to fit in front where i needed one,you can put tabs where needed and the fittings.no more fitting g force

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So I've been doing this for many years. I use a internal bypass pump so no need for a return line.When i had my nova i had the tank mounted as high as possible in trunk and pump mounted as low as possible. I now have a s10 and it has a upright style tank mounted to the back of the cab. I bought my pump from BO-laws and they recommended -10 supply line. They said no larger because the weight of fuel in the line will be forced backwards with the g forces. Now they say this will work to a certain ET then the fuel cell has gotta go to the front pretty much based on 60'. I've been as fast as 1.25 60' without issues. I'm currently using mine with gas.

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
#10 from tank to pump then #8 to carb is always what I’ve ran, just make sure the alky can gravity feed from the tank to the pump. In my Chevelle I had to raise the fuel cell so that would happen.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would go with the -12

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I hope to be running alky one day...I’ve called an talked to no telling how many people....an got a different answer from just about everybody...

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
i have usually been able to custom build tanks to fit in front where i needed one,you can put tabs where needed and the fittings.no more fighting g force

S10, no fuel cell in the bed. Sounds like a nice ride.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
The FP regulator is pretty important as you'll be bypassing a bunch of fuel. Find the correct Aeromotive one with either a 3/8" or 1/2" bypass orifice and run -10 back to the tank. The "let-off" spike comes from the regulator not able to bypass enough fuel when the engine rpms are still high.

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
i have usually been able to custom build tanks to fit in front where i needed one,you can put tabs where needed and the fittings.no more fitting g force

People normally take the easy road.
Do what ever you have to do in order to put the tank up front.

Posts: 9 | Location: Tallahassee, Fla. | Registered: January 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Professor check your pm please

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I mounted the rear fuel cell as high as I legally could and the pump as low as I could with #10 line hoping gravity would suffice.
This caused a big stumble at the launch so I looped the hose around in front of the pump, this helped so I made a longer loop.
Every once in a while it still stumbled a little so I took a piece of 4" steel tubing and made a 3 1/2 Qt reservoir that gravity fills with a vent in front of the pump.
I don't like the vent in case I should end up on the roof so I'm going to try blocking it and see if I get air in the reservoir.
I have not found an air bleeder I trust with methanol.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 10999 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post