DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Jones Cams anyone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jones Cams anyone
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Anyone here had a cam ground by Jones cams in Denver NC. I have a cam he says he can grind into what I need no problem. Well its 3 weeks turn around That and its only 48* cam I have laying here.

Going from crane 296/500 to a 284/286 duration cam with little more lift. Hate to screw up a really good cam but since not running the blower its little on big side with 296 @ .050. Plus there are no cam cores to be had right n ow.
Just wondering if anyone here has used him and thoughts on work.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I have bought two jones cams over the years. It may take a while but for me it was always worth it.

Would definitely recommend him.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What are you putting this cam in?
Jones is good.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
I had a Jones cam ground a was very satisfied. I took awhile but it was perfect for my mild 383 sbc foot brake combo. No regrets at all.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
Jones is good.

Sry. Just figure most here know .Its a 482 TFX 92 Hemi with BAE older style not fat heads injected. Basically my old TA/D motor minus blower and lot smaller pump. Might also go in a 526 or 540 combo.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Luvtruck
posted Hide Post
Mike custom ground my cam and it took about 3 weeks but that's been a few years ago....might be more wait now with everything going on.
I will say that his cam out performed my Bullet cam.

Posts: 242 | Location: Vanceboro NC | Registered: February 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a Mike Jones cam in the Lamplighter engine. It performs as expected.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike has done cams for my engines and some of my customers. He knows his cams and if you fill out his required paperwork correctly you will be pleasantly surprised. Remember its what is under the curve that counts.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys/ I almost want to yank cam and send it to him now.At same time the 4 weeks to get it back is minor issue,maybe. Would like to get few more runs on whats in the car and know what new cam actually picks car up. Now that its getting to weather where I can handle temp better and not get staggering ass drunk feeling I get when it is in the 90's at time. I hate to not know how much.

For what its worth desk top dyno show 51 hp and 48 lbs tq better with smaller cam.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I thought Mike was a designer and not a grinder. I figured he had his cams ground for him. Am I hearing he actually grinds them?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Yes he does it all.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Good thing he is 90 miles from house. Qondering how much quicker he could get it if I delivered and licked it up. Figure 36 bucks each trip less if not driving my truck.

Be great if I could pick up at Charlotte race. Got to be there anyway. Plus cost might keep me from picking up more nitro .Nope will be playing with it all weekend on Larry's dollar and that is just going to make it worst.LOL

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Jones is good.

Sry. Just figure most here know .Its a 482 TFX 92 Hemi with BAE older style not fat heads injected. Basically my old TA/D motor minus blower and lot smaller pump. Might also go in a 526 or 540 combo.

Are they the +.100 heads or old 175cc heads. The +.100 will not give you enough compression and the 175cc or the .100 heads without a blower may net about 700hp, those old engines need boost and a lot of it to wake them up. Who is flowing your fuel system?
How many gallon pump?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
OLD HEADS.bASICALLY ORIGINAL HEMI IN BILLET WITH FEW UPGRADES.

Had chance at some JFR t.100 heads cheap,they found a pallet full they did not know they had.Must be ruff.

Have 14:1 compression,measured (78 cc's poured volume)not told.Thats after some massaging to get minimum clearances.
My system. Have 35 years playing with FI and cpl thousand in phone calls with Gorr back when we ran TA/FC and TA/D. While I will never say flowed is bad I don't need flowed system for MFI. Besides fact that with todays data logger you practically have a flow bench on car.
Pump flow is 6.85 gpm.aheads are not a problem. These have ran 4.70's injected in milder combo and slightly heavier car.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Had chance at some JFR t.100 heads cheap,they found a pallet full they did not know they had.Must be ruff.

Have 14:1 compression,measured (78 cc's poured volume)not told.Thats after some massaging to get minimum clearances.
My system. Have 35 years playing with FI and cpl thousand in phone calls with Gorr back when we ran TA/FC and TA/D. While I will never say flowed is bad I don't need flowed system for MFI. Besides fact that with todays data logger you practically have a flow bench on car.
Pump flow is 6.85 gpm.aheads are not a problem. These have ran 4.70's injected in milder combo and slightly heavier car.

Just saying, two blow dryers would be great on that combo. Really fun.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

35 years of experience, and you are on ITA begging for help? 6.85 GPM is not even close to what you need. You are trying to build a copy of an A/fuel engine and you are way off. Don't take it personally.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Further, claims 35 years experience and he can’t spec his own can no mind out of all the cam companies he choses an Internet forum guru/salesman. Didn't think of that

Meanwhile I’m at Indy and I’ll guarantee, you’d be hard pressed to find 2 cars with a Jones cam in their engine and if you did, mostly likely it would be one of the 45 S/ST cars and it would not be running at the front of the class. His customer base is the Internet forum street/strip crowd and do it yourself low buck bracket racer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

35 years of experience, and you are on ITA begging for help? 6.85 GPM is not even close to what you need. You are trying to build a copy of an A/fuel engine and you are way off. Don't take it personally.

How much hp do you figure he is shooting for?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Please double your pump size or you will be to lean. Lean is not nice on these engines. I would shoot for 12-13 Gpm.
The A/fuel engines need rpm. It’s something the the old fuel engines don’t have. He said he was thinking of going 526/540. The pistons for those are just to massive. Need to stay 4.187 to lower rotating mass.
Not sure how he got down to 78cc from 175. It doesn’t make sense. You would have to take a massive amount of the heads.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD1964,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Holy fook.
Reading comprehension is a lost art around here, guys would rather bash than read.
He is not building a effin a/fuel engine.
It is a normally aspirated hemi made up from his old ta/fc stack of leftover parts, and it is on alcohol, and put in his homebuilt nostalgia style front motor digger for fooking around.

Damn, it has gotten to a point on this place where a person cant even post a legitimate question without the resident busybody douchebag and the band of merry turds screwin it up.
Effing disgusting.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post