DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    axle sizing for trailer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

axle sizing for trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Most here have seen post on starting a trailer build.Yea I am nuts and been told have big ones(sounds better than the I am).
Anyway getting ready to order trailer axles. Going with torsion fr few reasons. Trying to decide how heavy to go. 3 6000# is what I have in mind right now. Which might be too much if is such a thing. Trailer should weigh in under 6000 lbs. Car is only 1450,but will have plenty of extra parts,too many tools,generator,Air compressor and who knows what else.Plus possibility of second car is always there. Still way below total capacity.

Any reason to go less than 3 8000# axles all with elec. brakes and probably 8 lug wheels,since have three wheels already and if nothing else that covers spares.LOL Cost wise not lot more than next axle down and not much less than next up 7000#. Most trailers I have seen have 3 5200's,but having trouble fin ding 5200# torsions at comparable prices.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Remember, the heavier the axle rating, the less actual suspension you have.
The tires become the suspension, and the trailer gets beat to death.
6 X 3 + 18,000 rating, and that has a saftey margin built in.
Unless you are going to actually haul a lot of weight I would say 2 6K and configure the underside to add a 3rd. for when you are ready to enclose it.
You can do it, you are creative.

I haul a 2800# car and a crap load of stuff and I have never had an issue with 8900# @ 10,400 rated.
Other than the crap 15" tires available, so I went to 16"

That brings up another point, 16" tires run at 80+ psi so it will really be a bronk buster without the weight in it, with 18K of axle.

Something to consider.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Very good points.
Not a trailer expert by any stretch, but I might lean toward the 6K set. They should be more common, if you did have an issue sometime, and need a replacement.
Me, I would put all 3 in, even if you build walls later. Fenders might be an issue, unless you are creative with splicing 2 sets of doubles...
Interesting scenario, to me, building a deck then walls later.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Plan is 2 axles spread for flat bed leaving middle out and sheetmetal filler for looks.When finishing with walls add middle axle . Two things don't need for hauling abd save bunch of out of empty pocket expense($950),well for now anyway.

As for fenders on flat bed. It will have regular boxed ,like in enclosed trailer has.Might not be pretties,but will do the job and be part of final build thats done and not a change later.

Hoping the torsion axles help with the ride. Hell know me and my take the shop with you theory will probably have plenty of weight. Now how do I make the bridgeport a roll on and roll off piece?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post