DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    comp cams break in- soft spring needed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

comp cams break in- soft spring needed?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted
525 lift solid lifter comp cams, would you remove inner spring for break-in, they are 125lb seat, 270lb open

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty mild spring, does it have an inner spring? Pulling the inner springs is a lot less work then changing cam and lifters and cleaning out the worn off lobe.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
Dual spring

Posts: 728 | Location: pa. | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
THAT SEEMS OVERKILL TO ME BUT. PROPER BREAK IN LUBE AND GOOD FAST IDLE AT BREAK IN SHOULD DOIT

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes, remove the inner spring for break in. The little bit of extra work now is better than the alternative.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not bashing, but just curious...why a flat tappet?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
.525 lift is a very mild cam. I wouldn't bother. No issues with the .575 lift Comp F/T deal I put together for someone last year, car is street-driven and doing fine.
If your heads are already fully assembled on the engine, removing the inner springs, then putting them back in afterward is actually quite a bit of work to do.
Last time I did it was a couple years ago, on a .640" Solid F/T Comp stick, I used their higher-end spring recommendation, was super-meticulous with set-up, assembly, cleanliness, choice of lubricants, break-in procedure, and multiple oil/filter changes. And I still had a lifter fail after 4 races/21 passes. If you are gonna do all that work, you may as well get a cam worth the effort.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I'd pull the spring, run break in oil and make absolutely sure that the lifters are spinning. What does Comp say to do? I lost a few lobes on break in a couple years ago and it ruined the entire engine in a 20 minute break in.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fast frank
posted Hide Post
this is a mild street strip combo, I did what they said, heads were off so removing the inner springs easy , broke it in then put them back on, took it out this weekend, did the valves, cut the filter open, everything looks great, thanks for the advice