DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tire Rub on open trailer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Rub on open trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted
So I have owned this trailer for several years. Last year I noticed a little tire rub while taking sharp bends. The tires on the driver side are the only ones rubbing. I changed the springs, hangers, equalizer, and all bushing bolts but the tires still rub the inside of the fenders on sharp bends (like driving through a parking lot). Can anyone tell me what might be causing this issue? Thanks!

Life is Short....Live it without Regrets

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation
El Paso Mexican Restaurant

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
No change in wheels or tire size, wheel bearings checked too...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Parking too close to fords!!!

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Axles not centered under trailer.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Does this loaded or unloaded? Agree with a bearing check but would have had a problem already if used often.

Axles bent from overload? Will smaller tires remedy it?

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
No changes to wheel or tire size. Rubs only when turning bends and only on the driver side. I have not detected rubbing when it is not loaded. Axles are in same location as they have been but I will check to see if they moved. The welded plate on the axels has a hole in them for a nipple on the shackle springs to line up so I am not sure that they could move, but again, I will verify that. I will also check bearings but I have tried to move the tire back and forth by hand and cannot detect any movement. Also, seems odd that both tires on same side and only that side rub.

Thanks for the information. I will check a few things this weekend and see if the bearings or the axels have moved.

Life is Short....Live it without Regrets

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation
El Paso Mexican Restaurant

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Check for a bent axle. Sounds like that could be the problem.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Measure gap between tire and trailer on both sides to be sure the axles are centered under the trailer.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post