DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    no respect from my new lithium battery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

no respect from my new lithium battery
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I was using the 16volt xps 1600 which worked great but weighs 46lbs...so trying to be slick I bought a brand new go lithium that only weighs 8lbs!!

I bought it 3 months ago and checked the charge every week and she was always about full charge..glowed green at night which meant she is fully charged

my first time out this weekend in Georgia it really cranked slow..the guage showed 16.5 volts but under a load cranking it went down to a couple volts.i threw the charger on it and it showed 80 to 90 percent. turned it over again at 100 percent and it would barely turn the car over.
threw my old 46lb xps back in her and cranked beautifully the whole weekend.

waste of 1000.00 bucks right there

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That sure stinks.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the battery. Lithium doesn't work well in the cold. This is why they don't list the Cold Cranking Amps on Lithium batteries.

Best way to solve this issue is to turn water pump and fan on prior to starting for a few minutes to get the juices flowing.

Craziest thing ever. The more you try to crank on it, the stronger it will get. Just don't panic. Has nothing to do with the charge.

I'd say this starts to become issue in the 40-50 degree range, but we run them and get thru it.

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say this starts to become issue in the 40-50 degree range, but we run them and get thru it.

it was 30 something degrees in Georgia at night and maybe mid 50 the day I tried to use it.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For a GRAND there shouldn’t be any issues....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Whomp and I agree...my thousand dollar lithium did not last long and was always a lil wuss in the cold...

Scott is right! If I ran the fan for a minute the battery was better in the cold mornings.

The battery ultimately was not warranted by the manufacturer and they wont get a dime more of money! There has to be something better?

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted February 25, 2020 03:31 PM Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the battery. Lithium doesn't work well in the cold. This is why they don't list the Cold Cranking Amps on Lithium batteries.

Best way to solve this issue is to turn water pump and fan on prior to starting for a few minutes to get the juices flowing.

Craziest thing ever. The more you try to crank on it, the stronger it will get. Just don't panic. Has nothing to do with the charge.

x2 only first start of day also.i used a 12 jump start to get rolling then good after that,warm weather no issue.best thing ever i wound up with 2 batteries(go lithium) wow this thing cranks now hot or cold.the guy that owns golthium is top notch bye the way

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

yep and usually only the first start of the day... I had a spare so I put them both on the car and never spins slow now...I use a different brand also

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the tech guys at go lithium didn't say anything about this?
if they know this as a characteristic of these lithium batteries they should tell you so your prepared for that issue
when I called they had no clue

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the owner knows for sure,a couple of years ago his house and shop lost power.he said it got to 40 below and batteries still read 16 but didnt have enough amps to start a lawnmower.it is a lithium characteristic not just go lithium.when i first built this t/d setup i changed starters ran grounds and ect lol

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Thermal Runaway...

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
So, is it the Battery itself that needs to keep warm? If so you could us something like a heating pad to get the battery up to it’s liking temperature wise.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Stay tuned,,,,,,,,,,, graphine is on the way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Showtime296
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pro

I had go lithium wouldn’t start my car he said I need two so I bought another. Was better but not as good as the lite xs I had. Would only start once or twice and I was losing faith in it. Tried a Braille and just one works better then the two Go lithium’s. Don’t waist your time or money on them get a Braille and be done.

Performance Glass
Meziere
Chassis Engineering
FTI converters

Posts: 258 | Location: Eattin' a Sammich | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Braille in mine with zero issues

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
started mine today firt time since january,started and spun fine.and its cold outside oh to each his own

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have 2 brands at home over the last 10 years...both chit including the chargers totaling over 2000 bucks...

Hit and miss at best...I will carry the heavy batteries.

Cant see spending the coin again...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
sounds like a 50/50 shot...rustys works,mine dosent.fml

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I have 2 brands at home over the last 10 years...both chit including the chargers totaling over 2000 bucks...

And the heavies have never failed have they?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

And the heavies have never failed have they?
They all will fail....but they ain’t all $1000...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post