DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    miller syncrowave 210
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

miller syncrowave 210
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at a Miller syncrowave 210 welder. Wondering if any here have one or used one and opinions on them.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have e synchrowave 250 and it has been a good machine so far, bought it used.

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A Synchrowave 210 is an inverter design power source....looks more like a Mig welder but is for AC/DC Tig-Stick use

A Synchrowave 250 is a transformer based machine...bigger, heavier....same thing...AC/DC Tig-Stick use..

Whats the difference...you ask...

All older machines use a transformer....

AC input into a big heavy transformer...
Changes input voltage to something suitable for welding.....controlled by circuit boards and various other components....

Long lasting generally, but takes a lot of input power to run....your electric bill will go up substantially

Inverter design.....NO transformer......All high tech components inside also controlled by circuit boards....

More adjustability and generally welds better......and much lower cost to run on your electric bill

May not live a long life.....very expensive components when they fail....

I've worked on Inverter power sources for 20 years.

Great machines and put out amazing amount of power even off a relatively small input circuit/cord/plug

I prefer a big ole heavy machine...

A Synchrowave 250 or 350 Tig runner with water cooled torch.....for shop work....real good for aluminum...

For home.....at the track etc.....small inverter......run it off a generator.....AC/DC Tig….Stick...machine

Imports.....$1000 or less.....new

Lincoln....Miller...….$1500-$2000 new....

The small Lincoln Tig 200 Inverter got a rave review from a customer/welder that's usually real hard to make happy....and he's had a lot of machines, mostly Miller...

That Lincoln sells for around $1400-$1500 and was on sale a couple times in the last year for $400 less.....

I should have bought one but rarely need it and have machines I can use from co-workers as well as shop machines.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Hey scdiv1, what do you think of running an inverter TIG off an Onan 12.5 quiet diesel?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I figured this kinda went along with the topic

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Should be no problem at all.

Your Onan probably has 240 volt output and your welder will work better with 240 in instead of 120...

All welders have their input voltage and amperage requirements listed on them usually....

That usually lists what the machine needs amperage wise to produce its MAX rated output....

Millers and Lincolns smaller inverters usually are 120/230 input capable.....with just an adapter change on the input cord plug....

You would need to wire up a proper female receptacle from the generators output for the welder

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use one for my projects and it works great on steel. On aluminum I feel it's a little light when approaching 1/4 think, but I don't do aluminum often so it could be me.

You can weld aluminum 1/4 think it just takes some extra time.

On cages and other steel projects it's great.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1434 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What type of welding are you planning to do? If you're looking for TIG/Stick only, do yourself a favor and look at the HTP Invertig 221. I've had one for several years. Built several cars and done hundreds of projects with mine. Best bang for the buck I've ever gotten! A water-cooled unit is about the same price at the Syncrowave 210 basic package.

Greg Stanley
Off the grid and off my rocker!

Posts: 6229 | Location: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: April 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post