DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Non pro internal vs external t-brake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non pro internal vs external t-brake
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I can say from first hand experience...

A Coan aluminum valve body that I bought and installed was trouble right out of the box before I even installed it.

The spool valve was tight in the hole in the VB and I spent a lot of time massaging the hole and the valve as best as I could

I called Coan and complained....wanted to let them know of the problem

Installed it in trans after I thought I had it working ok

Backed car out of trailer and brake hung up and would not release....

Once trans warmed up it was ok and never a problem after that for as long as I used it....

RT's were NO faster than the VB I took out......maybe a tick slower....

Wasted a bunch of money on a unit that was a disappointment....

The billet aluminum and steel needed more clearance and I had nothing I could get all the way into the VB to hone larger...

A lot of different aluminum VB's on the market and my choice caused me a lot of grief..

I should have just sent it back !

My biggest issue with transmissions is that I know nothing about them. I have to rely entirely on my builder or others opinions. I would never have taken a new vb apart to check for clearance issue because I wouldn't know what I was looking for. I'm learning but it's slow going.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I can say from first hand experience...

A Coan aluminum valve body that I bought and installed was trouble right out of the box before I even installed it.

The spool valve was tight in the hole in the VB and I spent a lot of time massaging the hole and the valve as best as I could

I called Coan and complained....wanted to let them know of the problem

Installed it in trans after I thought I had it working ok

Backed car out of trailer and brake hung up and would not release....

Once trans warmed up it was ok and never a problem after that for as long as I used it....

RT's were NO faster than the VB I took out......maybe a tick slower....

Wasted a bunch of money on a unit that was a disappointment....

The billet aluminum and steel needed more clearance and I had nothing I could get all the way into the VB to hone larger...

A lot of different aluminum VB's on the market and my choice caused me a lot of grief..

I should have just sent it back !

My biggest issue with transmissions is that I know nothing about them. I have to rely entirely on my builder or others opinions. I would never have taken a new vb apart to check for clearance issue because I wouldn't know what I was looking for. I'm learning but it's slow going.

The first fundamental to learn for 1/8 mile drag racing.

POWERGLIDE - 2 speed

2 - speed T400 pro tree racing use 1 and 2, with a 3.73 final gear, for a 9.25 starting line ratio. 7400 rpm finish line - 6.50 index.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a T400 in garage with the "wicked Quick" valve body in it. Was nothing but trouble right from the start. I got the whole trans from ATI. Sent it back twice and still did not work. Then they had me send back just the valve body and they sent me a new one that according to the date on it had been made that month. I have never used it although I had local guy install the valve body. To much trouble to change. The ATI trans I have in there has a steel valve body and an internal solenoid that has always been flawless. Saturday in my Oldsmobile it had a best of 1.31 60ft and shifted flawlessly.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
I've considered changing to a glide and there's really only 1 reason that I haven't, they just don't seem to be as much fun. I like the launch with the 2.48 low gear with my low powered bbc.

If fun means wheelies, we are having just as much fun with a glide behind our bbc as we were with a turbo400 and the rear gear is the same as it was with the 400.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:I'm surprised you didn't choose a glide if you leave almost exclusively in 2nd gear

Affordable glide 1st gear ratios don’t allow for slowing down the 60’ time (to 1.40) without short shifting in my car. And most consistent 330’ I experienced is letting the rpm run to shift point starting line gear. I also want most mph possible given the et at finish line in a car running slower than 6.0.

As others wrote, making 1 shift will be more consistent and still achieve the desired rt and et with the correct SLR.

This is last Sunday dialing off the trailer, no time runs.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:I'm surprised you didn't choose a glide if you leave almost exclusively in 2nd gear

Affordable glide 1st gear ratios don’t allow for slowing down the 60’ time (to 1.40) without short shifting in my car. And most consistent 330’ I experienced is letting the rpm run to shift point starting line gear. I also want most mph possible given the et at finish line in a car running slower than 6.0.

As others wrote, making 1 shift will be more consistent and still achieve the desired rt and et with the correct SLR.

Mark, what fuel are you running? What rear gear and what does "letting the rpm run to shift point starting line gear" mean?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I have a T400 in garage with the "wicked Quick" valve body in it. Was nothing but trouble right from the start. I got the whole trans from ATI. Sent it back twice and still did not work. Then they had me send back just the valve body and they sent me a new one that according to the date on it had been made that month. I have never used it although I had local guy install the valve body. To much trouble to change. The ATI trans I have in there has a steel valve body and an internal solenoid that has always been flawless. Saturday in my Oldsmobile it had a best of 1.31 60ft and shifted flawlessly.

How long ago was your last bad experience with the Wicked Quick VB? Was the case an OEM or an SFI ATI case? Is the steel VB an ATI Compu Flow?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:Mark, what fuel are you running? What rear gear and what does "letting the rpm run to shift point starting line gear" mean?

EFI on methanol. 5.14 gear. No short shifting on time, set shift at 6925 and it completes the shift into 3rd at 7010 - 7020. I'm leaving in 2nd gear

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ron I never had a good experience with the wicked quick. I have never used the last new one they sent. The case is an OEM with an Ultra Bell. ATI machined it to make sure it was "square". That whole thing was built in there shop several years ago. I imagine the last time I tried it was 3-4 years ago. I don't know what the steel valve body is called but it has always worked well.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Ron I never had a good experience with the wicked quick. I have never used the last new one they sent. The case is an OEM with an Ultra Bell. ATI machined it to make sure it was "square". That whole thing was built in there shop several years ago. I imagine the last time I tried it was 3-4 years ago. I don't know what the steel valve body is called but it has always worked well.

You'd think ATI could get your trans to act right considering that they have a dyno. They should've tested it extensively before giving it back to you. It looks like ATI has only one iron vb with a brake and it's available with either internal or external solenoid.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:Mark, what fuel are you running? What rear gear and what does "letting the rpm run to shift point starting line gear" mean?

EFI on methanol. 5.14 gear. No short shifting on time, set shift at 6925 and it completes the shift into 3rd at 7010 - 7020. I'm leaving in 2nd gear

I've thought about alky but my garage leaks bad in heavy rain, so I'm afraid of the magnetic water properties of alky. I've also considered EFI but haven't seriously looked into switching. Which version are you using?
Your 5.14 x 1.48 isn't too much different from my 4.88 x 1.48, especially with my 31.25" tire compared tp your 32". I'm assuming you're a 32x14 guy.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's some good shyt, Luv it. Killer Super Pro racing. Well done.

Easy with a good car, looks great.

Gear and converter adjustment worked to perfection..

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post