DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Allison transmission ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Allison transmission ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
I'm having issues with the transmission in our 2001 Monaco 34' RV.
Engine is the Cummins 24 valve 300 HP engine, series 1000 Allison 5 speed transmission.
When driving up hills/mountains with or without race car trailer the check transmission light comes on.
Trans temp is in the 250* range.
The trans will not up or down shift once this warning light comes on.
Most times after pulling off to the side of the road and shutting the engine off for a few minutes you can start up and proceed on normally for a while.
Trans fluid is clean and does not smell burnt.
Transmission SN is :6310013853.
Any RV or transmission experts here that have any ides as to the cause and the fix for this?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That seems hot..sounds like it’s going in limp mode to keep you from tearing it up

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
in heavy equipment i have seen this and usually gets back to the torque converter slipping because it is not full of oil.usually a valve that controls inlet and outlet pressure.the fact that it is not burning the clutches is kind of the key.i cant tell you how to fix but maybe google the tranny for that issue to find results

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
that is assuming all the simple stuff has been checked.by the way there was a bale of hay between my radiator and the other coolers.just a thought

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does the push button module have the diagnostic function by press and hold two top keys?? Will give you fluid level for sure. And mine doesn't match the dipstick exactly when the diagnostic is satisfied. Transynd is a great fluid if you are gonna start over fresh with everything. Your Navistar dealer will have it in larger volume for le$$.
BW

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Does the push button module have the diagnostic function by press and hold two top keys?? Will give you fluid level for sure. And mine doesn't match the dipstick exactly when the diagnostic is satisfied. Transynd is a great fluid if you are gonna start over fresh with everything. Your Navistar dealer will have it in larger volume for le$$.
BW

Bry-war, there are no push buttons. This is a cable shift.
Unless there are other buttons/switches I'm not aware of that give diagnostic functions.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2034 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
that is assuming all the simple stuff has been checked.by the way there was a bale of hay between my radiator and the other coolers.just a thought

Rusty, no hay on this one.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.jpg

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Allison in my Duramax pickup has rarely gone much above 200 degrees that I can recall. Maybe on a real hot day towing up hills to Numidia once, both the engine and trans were well over 200. Other than that trans temp is at or below engine temp. 250 is high unless you were pulling steep hills. Trans cooler ? Must have one...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Does this have an exhaust brake and is it working?
When the problem acted up, did you try the reboot cycle? Meaning pull the chassis battery cables off for a relearn on the TCM? First thing i would do is call Monaco and see if they will relinquish the procedure for pulling codes.Best avenue to proceed instead of an Allison dealer. Could be a wiring chassis issue. They should be stored as inactive.
Just my opinion. At times on the Class 8 trucks when i get a call on a no shift condition or won't gear up, i pull the cables to do a relearn. I'll put a call this morning to a friend of mine that worked for International and they have done tons of Allisons in RV's along with the class 8 trucks. It is a 1000 series for sure?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
My Allison in my Duramax pickup has rarely gone much above 200 degrees that I can recall. Maybe on a real hot day towing up hills to Numidia once, both the engine and trans were well over 200. Other than that trans temp is at or below engine temp. 250 is high unless you were pulling steep hills. Trans cooler ? Must have one...

Rich 250* is pulling a long mountain in a lower gear.
Other wise trans temp is 200*

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Does this have an exhaust brake and is it working?
When the problem acted up, did you try the reboot cycle? Meaning pull the chassis battery cables off for a relearn on the TCM? First thing i would do is call Monaco and see if they will relinquish the procedure for pulling codes.Best avenue to proceed instead of an Allison dealer. Could be a wiring chassis issue. They should be stored as inactive.
Just my opinion. At times on the Class 8 trucks when i get a call on a no shift condition or won't gear up, i pull the cables to do a relearn. I'll put a call this morning to a friend of mine that worked for International and they have done tons of Allisons in RV's along with the class 8 trucks. It is a 1000 series for sure?

Yes it has an exhaust brake and it appears to be working properly. I recall turning the exhaust brake off on some downgrades as it was slowing the MH down too much to stay with traffic.
I have never removed battery cables for a relearn. Just pull over to the side f the road, shutdown wait a couple of minutes and restart.
Yes this is a 1000 series transmission per the ID plate on the side of the trans.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rusty, no hay on this one.

bruce the hay on mine was hidden between the cores ,to the naked eye it was clean.may not be your issue.there is a bottom cover that can be removed,not easily,to clean between.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try here. This is a great RV site. The guy that wrote the formula for TranSyn monitors the Allison forum.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/

Why Do We Do This!

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post