New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.5" rear gears
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Been thinking lately, at what power level/ET would you think about 9.5" gears? Would they last longer, or just be stronger?
Also is there a noticeable power loss? Referring to a 1900lb dragster.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find much on this.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
They are stronger which means they last longer. Not sure about dragster applications, but in a door car they seem to have value once you start getting into the 6.80s and quicker range. Didn't notice any ET change with my car or a friend's car.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Must not be real common for a dragster to run them with over 250 views and only one comment.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me for a door car to see a benefit before a dragster might since they carry more weight.

When you say stronger means they'll last longer, do you think that is relative to the normal gear wear also? or just that they last longer against breaking?

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
I don't know how fast you go but I ran my MW 9 inch for 12 years. The first 4 years running 6.80's (dragster), the last 8 years running 6.00's, same dragster just blown (actually 5's but we won't go there). I broke the aluminum spool in that rear (severe tire shake) last year and decided to put a steel spool in with 9.5 gears. The only reason I went to the 9.5 was I felt bad for the 9" gears. Never had the rear out other than that.

I can't say if/when you need to go to a 9.5, just telling you my experience.
Dancing Cat

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I know the guys next door to me ran the 9" with the billet center with their TAD operation with no issues for 2 years at all. Always kept a spare. They did change it out once on a maint deal. Sold out after 2 years. Tough field is an understatement.

Nice car too..

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
We ran 9" in both TA/FC and TA/D for years as did rest of field. Tire shake in dragsters is nothing like in funny cars. We changed gears about every other year so roughly 150 or so runs.

Now that said I do see where a 9.5" gear would last longer due to be stronger piece.I am not to sure cost wise it would be a big savings,provided you check stuff on fairly regular bases and not just wait till it breaks.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gxp7903:
Must not be real common for a dragster to run them with over 250 views and only one comment.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me for a door car to see a benefit before a dragster might since they carry more weight.

When you say stronger means they'll last longer, do you think that is relative to the normal gear wear also? or just that they last longer against breaking?

They lasted longer against cracking and breaking. When we ran Pro Mod years ago, we switched to a 9.5" and got a lot more runs out of the gear. Like others mentioned, a lot of it has to do with weight and the abuse from tire shake .

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I do not have real big power. 1100 ish at 1900 lbs. Sometimes use the spray for q32s. Sounds like i don't need a 9.5" set.

So my next question, has anyone ever tried a ball/taper bearing pinion support? Do they wear the gear out quicker than a taper/taper support?

I have killed 2 gear sets with a ball/taper support. First set started making noise at the last race of year, about 180 runs going 4.70. Pulled second set this winter and they do not have much life left, about 250 runs going 4.50s. I think im going to switch back to taper/taper.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gxp7903:
Been thinking lately, at what power level/ET would you think about 9.5" gears? Would they last longer, or just be stronger?
Also is there a noticeable power loss? Referring to a 1900lb dragster.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find much on this.

Not sure if you need them or not but I do feel there stronger which is why I switched to them a few years ago. still going just fine, Knock on wood...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post