DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    why methanol and big motor lose hp
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why methanol and big motor lose hp
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You can’t get much more consistent than my gas 598. Week in and out its 2.976 to the half and that’s at different tracks from day to day. I won the d9 bracket finals and never changed my dial all weekend. I’m sure it can be done on alky to but why bother.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
This has been a good discussion ongoing. Everyone has compared Gas carb vs. Alky carb vs. Injection. I want to throw something else out there, how about 2 carbs ? Either gas or alky, how does this set -up stack up against others.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TubeCarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Post proof of your last win of $5,000 or more, otherwise STFU.

Chicken hED .. >

Posts: 428 | Location: Palm City Fla . | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
You can’t get much more consistent than my gas 598. Week in and out its 2.976 to the half and that’s at different tracks from day to day. I won the d9 bracket finals and never changed my dial all weekend. I’m sure it can be done on alky to but why bother.

I agree, I'm in the same boat. If mine moves a full hun in the 1/8 all day I'd be surprised. In my bracket tune mode it runs 4.49 high to 4.50 low all day, all year.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Show2Me:
632 BBC 18 degree Big Duke mechanical fuel injection motor was 1/10 faster to the 1/8th than with carb.
what was the CFM difference? Single carb? I know most of the toilet injections are 2000 frm, while until recently and the $4000 billet carbs came out the biggest stuff out there was a 1250. Not exactly a fair comparison

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
Originally posted by Show2Me:
632 BBC 18 degree Big Duke mechanical fuel injection motor was 1/10 faster to the 1/8th than with carb.
what was the CFM difference? Single carb? I know most of the toilet injections are 2000 frm, while until recently and the $4000 billet carbs came out the biggest stuff out there was a 1250. Not exactly a fair comparison

Will

The added cfm is a very small factor why alky injection works better! Unless you have a restrictive gas carb, moving up in cfm will make little difference. With any carb, once sized in the ballpark cfm wise, it's the fuel curve calibration that rules and not the cfm rating.

A number of years back when 468 was a big motor, I had a BLP 750 carb that made more HP that all the 850's and many 1050 carbs we tested.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post