DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    why methanol and big motor lose hp
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why methanol and big motor lose hp
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Mine is only from experience and what I have witnessed. The vast majority of bracket engines I have seen go to alky go faster. Most pick up again going to injection.

It seems that the less refined a combo is, the more the gain. The more refined, or closer to using up the cylinder heads potential a combo is, the less alky is a benefit.

I agree with you there but would still like to know the reason. I believe if we ever find the real reason why that is then we can eliminate that issue.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Gas is faster on all motors when the components are matched properly and everything is optimized. Just as an example: an engine with 13.8 to 14.1 is not considered optimized for gas, and would fall into the moderate category, and that is due to the fact, that if you increase the compression higher, it will make more torque and hp. Hence the words "optimized" as used below. When you classify an engine by (good, moderate or poor) for it's hp per cubic inch, the engines that fall into the "good" category will see losses from alky. The engines that fall into the moderate will typically wash, or have a slight loss when compared and the engines that fall into the "poor" category will make for power increases. It's why alky had become so popular, and it's popularity also was driven for those seeking a cheap method or alternate to race fuel.

Ambiant temps play a large part when it comes to hp losses on gas, and as the ambiant temps rise, raising the DA, the hp losses will show up on gas and yet alky doesn't see those losses because alky will reduce the combustion temps promoting hp during the higher temp days. It's why alky does so well in applications which produce heat naturally without ambient temps, such as a blown, supercharged or turbo application. The cooling affects promote power, and from it offsets the natural loss in an efficient "good" engine. The gas losses can be tightened up during the high da months without sacrificing consistency, and that's done with chip and timing.

Carbs where not designed to deliver fluid such as alky, and even with all the gurus out there, gas will always shear better through a carb then alky can. With a carb or even mechanical injection, it's a tuning detail that is only based upon an average, and yet will never be optimized from 0 to 1320. It's averaged for best results and therefor gives the assumption that it's optimized. You understand this by tuning the front half of the track, and then tuning the back half, and then tuning the whole track, and you'll never be able to half the front half tuned without compromise of the back half, and visa versa as well. The best delivery device for alky would be electronic injection, because it's programmable and you can tune it properly at different intervals down the race track. Mechanical injection is crude and primitive, but on higher hp levels (over 750), I would take mechanical over carb any day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strange Magic,

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strange Magic:
Gas is faster on all motors when the components are matched properly and everything is optimized. Just as an example: an engine with 13.8 to 14.1 is not considered optimized for gas, and would fall into the moderate category, and that is due to the fact, that if you increase the compression higher, it will make more torque and hp. Hence the words "optimized" as used below. When you classify an engine by (good, moderate or poor) for it's hp per cubic inch, the engines that fall into the "good" category will see losses from alky. The engines that fall into the moderate will typically wash, or have a slight loss when compared and the engines that fall into the "poor" category will make for power increases. It's why alky had become so popular, and it's popularity also was driven for those seeking a cheap method or alternate to race fuel.

Ambiant temps play a large part when it comes to hp losses on gas, and as the ambiant temps rise, raising the DA, the hp losses will show up on gas and yet alky doesn't see those losses because alky will reduce the combustion temps promoting hp during the higher temp days. It's why alky does so well in applications which produce heat naturally without ambient temps, such as a blown, supercharged or turbo application. The cooling affects promote power, and from it offsets the natural loss in an efficient "good" engine. The gas losses can be tightened up during the high da months without sacrificing consistency, and that's done with chip and timing.

Carbs where not designed to deliver fluid such as alky, and even with all the gurus out there, gas will always shear better through a carb then alky can. With a carb or even mechanical injection, it's a tuning detail that is only based upon an average, and yet will never be optimized from 0 to 1320. It's averaged for best results and therefor gives the assumption that it's optimized. You understand this by tuning the front half of the track, and then tuning the back half, and then tuning the whole track, and you'll never be able to half the front half tuned without compromise of the back half, and visa versa as well. The best delivery device for alky would be electronic injection, because it's programmable and you can tune it properly at different intervals down the race track. Mechanical injection is crude and primitive, but on higher hp levels (over 750), I would take mechanical over carb any day.

Strange, one of your better posts,,, but.. the total BTU's in an alky combo is higher than a gas combo (adjusted for AFR) soooo if you can burn it, alky would make more power.. At least that's what the science says.. Something like 27000 BTUs for alky vs 19000 for gas.
Just some food for thought...

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
I believe after considering the difference in AFR between gas and alky, that gas contains more BTU's so alky is not more powerful than gas.

quote:
...the total BTU's in an alky combo is higher than a gas combo (adjusted for AFR) soooo if you can burn it, alky would make more power.

Confused

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
I believe after considering the difference in AFR between gas and alky, that gas contains more BTU's so alky is not more powerful than gas.

quote:
...the total BTU's in an alky combo is higher than a gas combo (adjusted for AFR) soooo if you can burn it, alky would make more power.

Confused

My bad, I had it backwards.... Frown

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
[ QUOTE]
Strange, one of your better posts,,, but.. the total BTU's in an alky combo is higher than a gas combo (adjusted for AFR) soooo if you can burn it, alky would make more power.. At least that's what the science says.. Something like 27000 BTUs for alky vs 19000 for gas.
Just some food for thought...
. Your going right back to the efficiency issue. Total BTU's is irrelevant. How many BTU's are being converted to useable energy. Look at the volume of fuel (BTU total) a blown nitro engine consumes. But it is also probable the least efficient engine on the planet. But in its case when you still produce 10 or 11000 hp ...who cares.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I'm not sure I buy into the "gas moves more with the weather" theory either in SOME cases. A buddy of mine had a 615 BBC in a dragster with a 1250 QFT gas carburetor on it. It didn't matter if it was 50 degrees and low humidity or 85 degrees and high humidity, it ran 4.80. I think the slowest I ever saw it go was 4.83 on a ridiculously hot day. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

I think the amount of movement with the weather depends on how well you can tune a carburetor, how loose your torque converter is, how much gear you have, and how much compression the motor has. I'm not so sure the type of fuel has much to do with it if the combination is really good.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Maybe he was adjusting his peddle stop to allow for the weather ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

it is and I will put my cars against a similar car on alky any day and it will be just as consistent.

Ed, if your cars are so consistent, why can't they make it to the winners circle? Are you really that piss poor of a driver that after 25 years, you still can't cut a light or judge the stipe? You're such a joke. Slap Head

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Post proof of your last win of $5,000 or more, otherwise STFU.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that on a blown nitro deal, some of the nitro pumped into the engine is used specifically for cooling purposes (aka "intercooler")-thus the total volume pumped into it, in my opinion, shouldn't be used in this discussion. This brings me to the question as to whether methanol, which shares the same characteristics in it's evaporative cooling effect, wouldn't also play a part?

Agree on a carburetor being better for gasoline. That has also been my experience even on lower compression (down to 5:1) stuff from lawn mowers to 2 stroke bikes, etc. Many times even the best carb just can't get enough fuel through it and when it does, it's hard to keep it atomized.

On youtube there was a guy who was using an old briggs dump valve engine with a clear cylinder head. He had a high speed camera set up with it. This was interesting to watch the flame travel among other things. Of course it's an old dump valve which has it's limitations, BUT when he was running some methanol and then again nitro through it, it was interesting to see how much LIQUID was puddled up on the head before combustion event.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Since i built my 706 in 2014, it has run on alcohol with a Fast EFI system. 160 LB injectors were not enough to keep up with the demand of fuel that the engine of that size needed. With 225 LB injectors, the car has run the best of 7.52@181. Only humidity will slow an alcohol car down but still stay consistent. I saw no gain by switching to M5 last year but still ran consistent. This year i`m switching to nitrous and C25 or C16. The injectors will stay the same with a different program. I`m going to try and run a few passes N/A just to compare with the runs i made using alcohol. I would stay with alcohol but when shooting nitrous dry, you can only run a max of a 300 shot.I have a two system set up which are adjustable from 200 to 650HP. Hopefully i get to do this but i started a business back in November and i need to concentrate on getting it going.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mavman:
It's my understanding that on a blown nitro deal, some of the nitro pumped into the engine is used specifically for cooling purposes (aka "intercooler")-thus the total volume pumped into it, in my opinion, shouldn't be used in this discussion. This brings me to the question as to whether methanol, which shares the same characteristics in it's evaporative cooling effect, wouldn't also play a part?
. Actually blown nitro and blown gas are similar on higher end hp to benefit from the cooling cycle ( fuel blowing through the engine on overlap). Isky's 5 cycle cam, that's what it was all about. Alcohol is not similar to either of these fuels. But on very high end blown alcohol ( none of these in bracket racing) some fuel is used to cool the chamber down between cycles.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have two motors that make the same power, one on gas and one on alky, the alky combo will be faster.

I disagree. He's talking big engines with big cylinder heads. No way it's faster on alcohol. Been there, done that, proved it.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:
If you have two motors that make the same power, one on gas and one on alky, the alky combo will be faster.

I disagree. He's talking big engines with big cylinder heads. No way it's faster on alcohol. Been there, done that, proved it.

Mike, you may be right but I would like to know why and people have their theories but I am not sold on any of them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
632 BBC 18 degree Big Duke mechanical fuel injection motor was 1/10 faster to the 1/8th than with carb.

Posts: 8 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I believe the statement is that if you have two engines that both make, say, 1000 peak hp, the alcohol motor will ET better than the 1000 hp engine on gas.

I'd agree with that, because it will generally have a higher average torque number.

He is not saying that if you take a 1200 hp motor on gas and put it on alcohol, it will be quicker.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I will only speak from two motors that I know of, one was mine, 565 with Brodix HH's heads that made 1050HP, this combo was a tenth faster with a Ron's terminator vs a gas carb (Name builder for the carb)

Another combo was Ron Ciglar's APD built 582 that made over 1100 HP, ran it on the dyno with a gas carb, alky carb and Ron's injection.

Ron's made the most HP, Gas carb second and aky carb last.

Those are two good examples of what I have been stating here.

If your going to build a larger CID BBC and run it on alky, especially with BC style heads, you need to build in differently than a gas combo to make it work up to its capacity, otherwise its just a compromise!

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Most people don't take into consideration the difference in the cam that is necessary to make a big alky motor efficient. With the right cam, gas has no advantage other than needing a smaller fuel jug.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Most people don't take into consideration the difference in the cam that is necessary to make a big alky motor efficient. With the right cam, gas has no advantage other than needing a smaller fuel jug.

A few more things are required also...