DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    questions about Oxygenated fuel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

questions about Oxygenated fuel
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
not to be dumb but only be racing a couple of years what is oxygenated fuel, and what is the benefit. heard someone saying it was more consistent.

Posts: 33 | Location: nowhere | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66x:
not to be dumb but only be racing a couple of years what is oxygenated fuel, and what is the benefit. heard someone saying it was more consistent.

Just that! It carries O2 in it which is why you need more fuel/richer carb settings that non O2 fuel. Since it carries O2, its providing some of the O2 needed to burn the fuel rather than relying on O2 in the air so it can be less impacted by weather changes. The con's are higher costs and the stuff they use to get O2 in the fuel is not good for you! And it sinks your trailer out bad! Not worth it IMO when you add up the pro's and con's.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The only con is the higher price, but its the cheapest 30Hp you will buy...at least that is what is was worth in our SBC...27 HP. we run Renegade at $13 a gallon. Renegade K doesn't smell near as bad as VP Q16, but Ive been running it so long now that it smells like race gas to me.

I raced 4 weeks ago at 2100' DA and last weekend at -680' and the car ran the exact same and at two different tracks...

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
for a mild 406 with 11:1 compression, have been running sunoco 110 what would be a good oxygenated fuel to switch to.

Posts: 33 | Location: nowhere | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Ahhh yes the smell of Q16 in the morning will set you straight. On the Q16, recommended is a 4-6% increase over normal calibrations compared to like 12 or 14(VP).

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Did you have to do any else to the carb such as different metering blocks?

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
To get the most out of a fuel like Q16 you really need to have the carb converted and tuned specifically for the fuel. The carb needs to be able to pass enough fuel which you usually can't do with just jet changes.

As said above, 25 hp is average with a Q16 specific carb done properly. Car runs very consistently on the fuel.

Only other negative I can think of other than cost is you are supposed to drain all the fuel out of the car between races and most importantly keep it stored in METAL cans. I buy it in the 5 gallon metal pails from VP.

For lower compression, lower hp cars they also have VP113 which is still oxygenated.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Aside from the main jetting from 99's to 102's,the emulsion calibration was changed on the 5 port config enhancing the emulsion circuit. Dropped 2 on the HS also. Now this was on the
QFX 1450.Main booster tubes stayed the same.
Another note, using any 02 fuel, keep it in the steel cans, do not put this in plastic jugs as per VP.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
for a mild 406 with 11:1 compression, have been running sunoco 110 what would be a good oxygenated fuel to switch to.

VP113 is a great choice, priced comparable to other race fuels and worth a little performance. 3-4 jet sizes larger than standard race fuel to start.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Methanol

Posts: 12 | Location: indianapolis in | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

The biggest increase in power would be the Renegade RM 109. It is an unleaded fuel that won't harm sensors.You'll need to increase jetting by at least 3-4 numbers.

Mike Croley
Dist. for Renegade Race Fuels/Methanol
386-341-4308

Posts: 16 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just had a 1050 done for K-13, it is super rich at an idle, tried jetting it down went 4 sizes 94's to 90's and it is still rich mixture screws are only out 1/2 turn. Will rev and idle fine just rich down low. Any ideas before I call the builder on Tues?

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Started running Q16 this year, last year went from sunnoco 112 to C16. New carb setup for Q16 from Braswell. First thing I learned, o2's are the best and help you a ton! Second thing I learned, Holley jets suck. Get you a range of jets from BLP or Braswell, or any other carb company that makes their own. They are precise, holley jets are not. I pump from a steel drum to the 5 gallon steel cans and refill them as needed. Also i cap my fuel cell vent line and just run the carb out of fuel, usually turn fuel pump off on return road and by the time i get to the trailer its almost empty.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Just had a 1050 done for K-13, it is super rich at an idle, tried jetting it down went 4 sizes 94's to 90's and it is still rich mixture screws are only out 1/2 turn. Will rev and idle fine just rich down low. Any ideas before I call the builder on Tues?

Go up .005 on the idle air bleeds and readjust the mixture, see if that helps. What metering blocks were used?

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm with Top38. It gave me a severe headache and my trailer stunk so bad I would open it up and let it air out before I would go in it. A lot use it though and have no problems. I would suggest buying 5 gallons before buying a drum just to see how it works for you. It may have give me a headache cause I'm so use to clean living. HaHa

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Health hazard. Alot of super deadly cars on Sunoco.

Posts: 62 | Location: home | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aaron vail:
quote:

Methanol

Aaron knows .....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post