DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Msd grid w/ lenco air pods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Msd grid w/ lenco air pods
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I currently have a ACD shift control that shifts the lenco , was upgrading ign to the grid and was wanting to use the grid to control the selonoids.justwanting to clean up the gadgets in the ****pit try to simplify. Thanks

Posts: 30 | Location: up north | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Output switch on the grid is good for one event. How many speeds to you lenco. Go a two speed you can use it

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Still have to use ACD for lenco. Grid won't do it.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Like Slick Vic said, definitely ACD for Lenco.

If you want the shift time information to show up in the Grid Data Acquisition, you could land the Step function inputs on each output of the ACD that trigger the shift. The Step would not be programmed to do anything other than to record when activated.

Be advised, you would want to place diodes (included with 7730 Grid) across the coils of the air solenoids to keep the flyback voltage from damaging these Step inputs.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
There is another option:

When i was wiring by buddies Pro mod we used the ACD, and when his older ex pro mod driver friend showed up he said what you need that blue box for? Quiet being a P***** and shift it yourself!! LOL. He also stated his pro mod had three wires, tack, and the two mag kill wires, LOL.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You probably could use you shift lite output to use as a signal, but you still need the electronics to supply the current to the solenoids. Think about it, if you change shift points. Then you would have to get the lap top out to change them. I don't have a acd, so is it easy to change the shift points. I use a msd 7559 to shift. Let us know what you do, you might should us a new or better way.

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
The ACD is setup to do up to 5 shifts using lenco. You can set the points separately using the toggles on the front of it and is setup to accept the reset button to allow the solenoids to release their air after burnouts/runs/etc. It really is a nice piece. I wish the outputs would handle the amperage of the solenoids, but we used some spare relays on a leash relay board to do this.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If using a relay board like Leash to activate the air solenoids, then landing the Step wires on the ACD output to the board will NOT require a diode. The board relay input activation has this diode built into it.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys , kinda what I thought. With that being said is it stupid to replace the pro mag that is in the car with a grid ?
when I bought the car it came with the pro mag (use to have a blowen bbc) I’v got a na 632 , I believe the mag is overkill, but why change if it works .

Posts: 30 | Location: up north | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A Grid is compatible with the promag. You may want to look at the electrimotion 8 channel as it has can control a solenoid(s) and Dave sells all that stuff. Their product would have some interesting options that fit an unconventional deal like you have. I'm certain a time based event is easy, I don't remember about what it takes to use an rpm triggered output.
Good luck,
BW

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
I would put the grid on the Pro Mag. Then you can use step retards, shift retards, launch retards, change two steps, three steps, etc. Plus it does have some data logging internal.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
If you only want to shift by time you could use the 7760 3-Stage Timer Module to do the 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shifts, while using the brown/white wire in the grid for the 1-2 shift be either time or rpm.

https://www.holley.com/product...cessories/parts/7760

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

Posts: 22 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slick Vic:
I would put the grid on the Pro Mag. Then you can use step retards, shift retards, launch retards, change two steps, three steps, etc. Plus it does have some data logging internal.

I see you sell msd, when is a good time to call you

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy:
I see you sell msd, when is a good time to call you

Anytime

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078