DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Another o2 question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another o2 question.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Well sort of. Since I am building a new set of zoomies for FED with lot more lay back ans shorter I figure I will install o2 bungs while doing the egt fittings. In case want to add later they will be there. Going in 5 and 6 pipes. Wondering how much difference distance maters with o2.I know with egt I keep all the same distance in any set of zoomies I build.

Pipes are short design. Maybe 16" total with 3" straight between flange and turn. Would bottom of turn work best or just before turn.EGTs are top before but could stagger probe location on o2 to make workable.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Okay as I understand it does not matter much the location as the air / fuel ratio is same all the way down the header. Just keep it far enough away from end of pipe so it does not get false reading from outside air.
Unlike EGT which changes all way down the pipe.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Try not to fall in love with the o2.
Do what you already know which is the plugs vs ET.
If the o2s happen to agree, fine. If not, believe your plugs.
Having just o2s on just 2 cylinders is like having a single egt. It gives you an idea of how to tune just those holes and nothing else
This will lead you down the rabbit hole. (with respect to Grace Slick)

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I would do all 8 incase you want to move it around. Also they aren't that expensive you can get them at rockauto. I would get some tall angled bosses to not disrupt the airflow in the header.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/to...ission,oxygen+sensor

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my stuff the EGT was totally useless but the O2 has been a big help.
I do have 8 of them and learned some things you would have never known with just one or two.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
On my stuff the EGT was totally useless but the O2 has been a big help.
I do have 8 of them and learned some things you would have never known with just one or two.

They all have their uses. EGT's can be helpful for balancing cylinders, or for diagnosing a miss. They can also give you clues about issues you may be facing. But there can be variations in readings depending on the sensor and its location within the tube.

o2's can be much more useful for tuning. But you need to use a grain of salt with any data. Use your head. Tunes that are out to lunch can make o2 readings show the wrong picture. We still have to think and use our other senses. If you can read plugs, that can be very helpful. I have never been good at it. I'm color blind and on methanol.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post